The "Follow Other MR Ping Members" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Currently, there aren't many people you know who can follow you on Ping, and likewise there aren't a bunch of people worth following. I figure that since Ping is much more of a "broadcast good music discoveries and follow artists" service than a social networking service, a community such as this may be a good way to find people to follow and build up a group of followers that makes broadcasting your music tastes worthwhile. Here is the format I'd like users using to share their Ping info:

Full Ping name
    Favorite genres:
    Link to your Ping profile (right-click your full Ping name and click "Copy Link" in iTunes)

So, for myself:

Michael DeLisi
    Rock, Pop
    http://c.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZConnections.woa/wa/viewProfile?userId=187476175

It should be fun to follow random Mac enthusiasts and gain a few followers. I'll follow people with similar taste for sure. Check out (and hopefully follow) everybody's Ping accounts, and post yours!

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Starting this thread on my iPhone was probably a mistake because Ping currently sucks on the iPhone, and is best-used in the full version of iTunes at the moment (I hope there's a web-based version soon). Anyway, I added the link to my own Ping profile, and I encourage others to do the same. Sharing your activity is meaningless if nobody's following you :p.

3. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I like most music, but I am a music snob. Mostly I listen to Rock & Roll(50's-modern garage rock) but I also like Hip-Hop and Reggae.
    Ping / Facebook / Last.fm

Edit: I don't think that method of linking to ping works. I can't open your profile.
    EDIT2: Ok I posted the link to mine correctly but you didn't post yours correctly OP.

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I didn't think my link was correct. I just copied "My Profile" in iTunes. How'd you copy the full link to your profile? Also, you're supposed to put which genres you like best (I want everybody to do that since they can follow others who have similar taste). Whenever I copy it, it works fine for me, but I I'm missing the "showprofile=" part.

EDIT: I searched for myself on Ping and copied the link:
    http://c.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZConnections.woa/wa/viewProfile?userId=187476175

5. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Right click on "my Profile" then select copy link. The link you are posting is a show the logged in user's profile link. When I click it it shows my own profile not yours.

I wish Ping showed music you play, rate, etc. in iTunes not music you buy or 'like' in iTunes store. That is Pings downfall. I wish it was more like Last.fm.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You might try recreating this thread in the iTunes subforum or seeing if a mod might move it - it seems like that may be a better place for it! :)

In any case, I'll bite.

Kasey Oglesby
    Electronic, Rock, Pop
    My Ping Profile
    I'm a classic rock and trance junkie. Two completely unrelated genres, but they provide for some pretty good listening.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That's what I did that gave me that link. Well, I fixed it by searching for myself and copying the link to my profile. So, if anybody else has the same problem, try that.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

MR doesn't have an iTunes-specific sub- forum yet. Somebody requested that recently here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1008173

I wasn't sure where to post this thread since there isn't one place on the forum that's fit for this thread.

9. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Here is a guide on how to get the link.

Yeah I was going to start something like this but I didn't know where to put it either. I was leaning towards the 'Mac Community>Community Discussion' section.

10. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

11. elie.fares macrumors regular

Fixed it, thx :)

Agreed.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

13. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Sure, why not? Here's me.

I mostly like alternative and jazz. Soundtracks are good too.

Looking forward to finding some new music!

14. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Ping Profile

Listening to a lot of electronica lately but my music taste is pretty varied. Love Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz.

15. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You copied your profile link wrong. The easiest way to copy it right is to right click on your name and click "Copy Link."

16. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Throwing my hat in the ring...

Chris Garry

I pretty much love all kinds of music..Everything from ELO to Arcade Fire to Tupac and in between.

[URL="http://c.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZConnections.woa/wa/viewProfile?userId=284009047]Ping Me[/URL]

17. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Your link shows up with two http:// and a " for me. Just a heads up.

18. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Thanks. I just fixed it. :)

19. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You copied the wrong link. Right click on your Ping name and click "Copy Link". Copying the "My Profile" link will just take a person to their Ping profile (which you copied).

Apparently Apple needs a better way for users to get their profile links...

20. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Thanks.

Ping

21. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You copied it wrong again. Just search for yourself and right click your name when it appears in search, then select "Copy Link." Third time's the charm ;).