The Footers Are Lame!!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rneglia, Sep 4, 2012.

1. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

Can we do away with the roll call of what Apple gear you own in the footer of all your posts please???

OMG!!

It's so lame!

I actually saw one guy list his 2TB Time Machine. NO ONE CARES!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually, some people come here to MR to get advice, and knowing whether somebody owns the given device is important for evaluating how good their advice is likely to be.

FWIW I own a iPhone 4S and a functioning PowerBook 180.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

More importantly, knowing what device a poster has helps when answering technical questions that they ask. It's not necessary to own every device that people ask questions about. Many here are qualified to answer questions about a great number of Apple products, even if they don't own them.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Listing all of your crap in a signature has no meaning on if you know how to help someone.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

For the most part, I find it helpful to know exactly what device someone has. It makes it easier for both the poster and the readers to have that frame of reference when trying to answer a question.

If someone is using it just to brag about their equipment then it's different, but purely for informational purposes it is helpful.

7. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Though people should be free to write what they like in their signature, in Rneglia's defence, there is a section in the user profile called "about me" where you can write all your hardware down instead. Which is nice if you feel compelled to click on someones profile and learn something about them.

But yes, if unwieldy sigs bother you, maybe just turn them off. :)

8. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its actually really useful in threads like programming, visual media, graphic design, and buying recommendations.

They do serve a purpose and its a million times easier to say "The setup in my sig" than to type everything out.

10. rneglia, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012

rneglia thread starter macrumors 6502

rneglia

Thanks all for your replies! I will probably uncheck that box, so I don't have to see signatures, but I actually like seeing non-roll-call signatures, so who knows.

Maybe people could have a "tech signature" that they activate when they're on a troubleshooting thread?

Where it really gets me down are on the speculation threads. "As you can see below, I have an MBA late 2011, but I'll probably get the new one too because I have unlimited moneys."

:):apple:

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

But I wanna see what people have, what year they bought it, the time they bought it, the serial numbers, the name of the person that helped them, how many day's it's been since they got it, and how many days it'll till they get a new one even though it'll probably be the same thing - just taller - cause that's how Apple rolls...

:D

12. colinet macrumors 6502

The original poster is absolutely right - who cares? And it usually seems to be the people with the most old crap who do it.

Besides, my list is REALLY long because size matters whatever anyone says.

13. imthenachoman macrumors member

I don't know you, but for some reason, in good humor, I am compelled to make a your mom joke. I feel like we need to bring them back.