The Force Unleashed

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zap2, Sep 18, 2007.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Is coming to Wii!!

Very very happy! I'm so excited to play this game with the Wii remote and nun chuck!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wiimote-lightsaber/lucasarts-unleashes-the-force-on-the-wii-301065.php

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Meh! Just can't get excited about 'yet another' StarWars game.

It may just be the 1 in 99 that's actually good, but that still leaves a greater chance it will be yet another cruddy milk the franchise title.

Color me skeptical.

3. Agilus macrumors regular

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Red Steel-like sword battles....only with Lightsabers? or something else?

5. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

:eek::eek:

KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Star Wars BattleFront 1 and 2?

This games look great! The graphics and physics on PS3/Xbox 360 look great, and controls on Wii look great.

Although, yes there have been some less the amazing star wars games

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heh, told you all so. Those darn LucasArts people taunting me with half-bits of information...(remember, at E3, they were hinting to me that there was a Wii lightsaber game in the works)

The duel mode sounds interesting, but the game is sadly bound to suck...LucasArts is putting ridiculous amounts of work into physics for The Force Unleashed for XBox 360/PS3, I daresay that is the draw of the game to me. The Wii version is being outsourced to a studio that will probably just make a generic Star Wars game. Maybe Duel Mode will be fun.

Eh? Star Wars is one of the few franchise games that is actually GOOD. The Jedi Knight series (Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy) has always been amazing (though the console ports sucked, the PC versions were awesome). KOTOR I and II were very good. Battlefront I and II are good games. Star Wars Rebellion has a cult following, and Star Wars: Empire at War got good reviews in some circles. And Super Star Wars was very cool on the SNES.

Not to say that there HASN'T been cruddy games (Force Commander, anyone?) and meh games (Star Wars Episode III, Star Wars: Clone Wars, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds)...but as far as movie-games Star Wars has had one of the best track records so far. I still get excited for Star Wars games.

EDIT: You know, Jedi Academy should technically be titled...
    Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy.
    :)

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

what he said

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Lego Star Wars FTW!

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why the shock Zap? Sure you picked out the best games, ok add Rogue Leader on there too.

But there's a considerable amount more games that were just pure crap.

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) (Action-adventure) Windows, PlayStation
    Star Wars: Episode I: Jedi Power Battles (2000) (Action) PlayStation, Sega Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance
    Star Wars: Battle for Naboo (2000) (Action) Nintendo 64, Windows
    Star Wars Episode I: Obi-Wan's Adventures (2000) (Action-adventure) Game Boy Color
    Star Wars: Obi-Wan (2001) (Action-adventure) Xbox
    Star Wars Episode II: The New Droid Army (2002) (Action) Game Boy Advance
    Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) (Action) Game Boy Advance
    Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) (Action) PlayStation 2, Xbox, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance
    Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005) Jakks Pacific TV Game
    Star Wars: Jedi Arena (1983) Atari 2600 - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars Chess (1994) (Chess program) DOS, Sega Mega-CD, Windows - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars Screen Entertainment (1994) (Screensaver) Windows
    Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (1996) (TPS) Nintendo 64, Windows - set between episodes V & VI
    Monopoly - Star Wars Edition (1997) (Board game) Windows - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi (1997) (Fighting) PlayStation - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Yoda Stories (1997) (Adventure) Windows, Game Boy - set between episodes V & VI
    Star Wars: Rebellion (1998) (RTS) Windows - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Behind the Magic (1998) (Multimedia encyclopedia) Windows
    Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (1998) (Rail shooter) Arcade - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing (2001) (Kart Racing) PlayStation 2 - set between Episodes I & II
    Star Wars: Demolition (2000) (Racing) PlayStation, Dreamcast - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Force Commander (2000) (RTS) Windows - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (2002) (Action) PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube - set between episodes I & II
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2002) (Action) PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox - set between episodes II & III
    Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon (2003) (Action/Space simulation) - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force (2004) Game Boy Advance - set during the time of episodes IV through VI
    Star Wars: Republic Commando (2005) (FPS) Windows, Xbox - set between episodes II & III
    Star Wars: Lightsaber Battle Game (2005) Handheld TV game - set throughout the entire saga
    Star Wars: Lethal Alliance (2006) (Action-adventure) PSP, Nintendo DS - set between episodes III & IV
    Star Wars: The Best of PC (2006) (Compilation) Windows
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008) (Action-adventure) Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PSP, Nintendo DS - set between episodes III & IV
    Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon (2003) (Rail Shooter)Game Boy Advance, set during Episodes IV-VI
    Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Ewok Adventure (unreleased) Atari 2600
    Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle (1984) Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ZX Spectrum
    Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1984) Arcade
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1983) Atari 2600, Intellivision
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1985) Arcade
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1992) (Platform) NES
    Star Wars: Starfighter (2001) Windows, PlayStation 2
    Star Wars: Starfighter Special Edition (2001) Xbox
    Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter (2002) (Action) Xbox, PlayStation 2
    Star Wars: Episode I Racer (1999) Windows, Mac, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color.
    Star Wars: Racer Arcade (2000) Arcade
    Star Wars: Racer Revenge (2002) PlayStation 2
    Star Wars: Dark Forces (1995) MS-DOS, Mac, PlayStation
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997) Windows
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (expansion) (1998) Windows
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002) Windows, Mac, Xbox, Nintendo GameCube
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003) Windows, Mac, Xbox

And i'm sure there's more.

Some were average at best, the majority pure tripe of an EA scale.

10. Agilus macrumors regular

I haven't played Red Steel, but its implementation didn't sound very good. If they can come up with something better, that would be cool.

I'm not sure how they'd do it, though, based on what I know about how the wii remote works. Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Oh no you didn't.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Your list isn't too well thought out; I see an encyclopedia, and some unreleased titles in the list.
    These games were awesome and have cult followings.

Add
    Rogue Squadron 1
    Rogue Squadron 2
    Super Star Wars
    Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
    Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
    Star Wars: Battlefront
    Star Wars: Battlefront II
    Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
    Star Wars: Empire at War
    Knights of the Old Republic I
    Knights of the Old Republic II

to the good games list.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Zap2, dude tell me you don't smell red steel when you think of the dueling parts....it might be fun when you play it online but if the actions are just tact on like in zelda(just wobble the remote) then you might lose interest fast.

I'm on the "meh" side on this one until I see the light saber gameplay demo.

Best use of the wii remote: Godfather.

Bless

14. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'll be excited if it's 1:1 mapping with the wiimote - but if it's just actions to induce a generic swing (or multiple generic swings), I'll join the 'meh' crowd. I don't want the wiimote to just be a way of pushing buttons without pushing the buttons, ya know?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I used Wikipedia. Do you really think I could be that 'ars*d' to research meh! starwars games :p;):)

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Hurray, the studio that's working on the PS2 version will be also making the Wii version, so won't it be great when they only go as far as the PS2's capabilities and then VOMIT that onto the Wii. I can't tell you how excited this Star Wars game has me.

This is going to be another WiiS2 game. :rolleyes:

<]=)

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

With wiggle :rolleyes::D

18. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The draw of Force Unleashed has always been physics for me and I don't know how they'll pull that on the Wii. If they do implement 1:1 lightsaber combat then that would be awesome but I doubt they will.

I will second the posters who said this will be a WiiS2 game.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) Some weren't even games! One was a Star Wars encyclopedia :p

2) My point is that a lot of them AREN'T meh. I actually recognize a lot of the titles in there. And I listed 18 titles that were good.

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

In all of its unrefined poorly implemented glory. :)

<]=)

21. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

You still haven't finished Super Paper Mario?

If they can make this game have the crispness and detail of Prime 3, I will be happy. But will they achieve 1:1 lightsaber control?

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I played up to level 6 on SPM, then "moved," then played RWii4 all of they through -- so much fun :) -- along with the bonus games, then got back to Zelda, then started on Metroid which I'm currently playing, so nope! :eek:

I also would want the eye pleasure that MP:C has bestowed upon the Wii along with its excellence performance. ~i~ AHHhhHhHhHhhHhhhh

At least they'll have the higher rez textures to work with, since LArts treated the Wii version as an afterthought, so hopefully they'll take advantage of the Wii's uberness and not just give us a hacked PS2 engine. If anything Krome has already been developing for the Wii, so they'll have some Wii control expereience under their belt. They also have developed Cube games, so aren't complete NOOBs like so many PS2 to Wii developers. But since they're working on the PS2 port at the same time, I'm more than paranoid of what they'll be deliver and have set my hopes to vomit.

<]=)