the forgotten macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Patman, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Patman macrumors newbie

A friend recently trashed a macbook so I've decided to revive it

this thing is thrashed, stickers, scratches, cracks galore! it has no hope, but I am going to restore this mac and it will motivate me to do great things!

i found this mac down in the dumps and i am down in the dumps as well. together we will work our way out of the dumps to victory!!!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. fbs1992 macrumors newbie

I almost had to click the link to report abuse. I hope you can restore it to its glory days

3. Patman thread starter macrumors newbie

haha i hope it restores me to my own glory days

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You can probably get Apple to replace the keyboard case part with the cracks/spilts as this is a known/common problem. Good luck with the restoration.

5. zildjansg macrumors 6502

will they replace even if its out of warranty already?

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I do believe they will. Just do a search of the forums here using MRoogle and you'll find plenty of cases where they have done so.

7. zildjansg macrumors 6502

Thank you very much. I was just doubtful coz they say they will replaced if the unit is 3 years old since purchased.My Macbook was a late 2006 (Macbook1,1), so I wonder if they could still replaced the casing the palmrest.

8. DewGuy1999, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I think they will, it's worth a try, nothing to loose and everything to gain. Good Luck!

Edit: This post says they will.

9. zildjansg macrumors 6502

cool!:D I just wish we have a apple genius here in our place just like in US.

Again, thanks, appreciated much.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

With the frequency that Apple Stores and Geniuses are mentioned on these forums it comes across that they're as ubiquitous as Wal-marts here in the U.S., but they're not everywhere, the nearest Apple Store to where I live is more than 100 miles (161 kilometers) away.

11. zildjansg macrumors 6502

my best way to do is call Apple center hotline to ask details regarding parts replacements issue, in that way,it will not waste my time going to Apple Center,end of the day, its not all the way covered.:D

12. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

As long as the macbook is less than 7 years of age the case will be replaced at no charge. Most apple stores are supposed to have them is stock.

The sad thing about apple stores is each is different, but all I have dealing with require atleast two trips to get anything done.

13. zildjansg macrumors 6502

How about those bought pre owned or 2nd hand?

14. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Does not matter. I purchased a second hand mac mini and applecare said their only concern was the warranty status.

So as long as you have a in term machine (in this case within 7 years of age) you will get the repair done under the warranty.

15. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

16. duke2k7 macrumors newbie

Apologies, dont mean to hijack the thread, but are you saying that if the MacBook is younger than 7 years, regardless of if my unit is 2nd hand, Apple will replace the case due to the cracks on the case (usual place) and the wrist rest/keyboards?

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

my friend had his replaced last week the trackpad and ect.. he bough his during the first run of macbooks get a mr.clean magic eraser

18. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I was in the same situation around a year ago, noting the case cracks (mine was also a 1,1), my old MacBook had further issues with the screen bezel separating near the hinge. Scratches and scrapes aplenty, I still managed to sweet talk Apple into performing the repairs as the keyboard bed was scratching me up.

Long story short, Apple did take my MacBook in for repairs. I thought only the keyboard bed would be replaced, but they refurbished the entire thing!

New case (upper and lower)
    New keyboard bed and trackpad (keyboard itself as well)
    Logic board replaced (cause of failure unknown but worked great when it shipped)
    Replaced the original HDD whilst providing me a clean install of Snow Leopard

The icing on the cake was customer relations sent me a brand new battery for keeping my MacBook for longer than expected.

I have a feeling they did all this due to a failure in post repair testing which was why my Mac took so long getting an overhaul.

Needless to say, I was shocked how far Apple went to meet and exceed my expectations. All for a Mac I bought off craigslist for $160 cash