Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winkosmosis

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Hawaii
There's a good reason to use 30fps. It divides into the refresh rate of computer screens, 60hz. 24fps has to be interpolated to get to 60 frames per second.

Blu Ray only supports 24fps, but that's moot because that tech is on its way out. I don't know a single person with a Blu Ray player.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
...Blu Ray only supports 24fps, but that's moot because that tech is on its way out. I don't know a single person with a Blu Ray player.

Us Canadians must be dinosaurs cause everyone I know owns a PS3 :)

I must admit I havent purchased a BD in almost 3 years but have been given many as presents.

I do however still author a ton of projects on BD since clients that I work with all have BD players.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Hi! So I had a simple question to inquire to all those using a DSLR for film making. I consistently run into a debate with my university peers on the best frame rate to shoot short films with. My opinion is 24 frames per second is always the best choice because of how cinematic it appears and because of how commonly it is used within industry. I am usually disagreed with by others who are more in favor for the TV standard 30 frames per second.

Can someone share some light onto this for me? For making short films, is it better to shoot in 24 frames per second or no?

I work in creating tv commercials every day so I know quite a bit about this from the tv end. Broadcast is always 29.97. I've never seen a flat 30 rate used. 24 is for movies playing in a theater.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I work in creating tv commercials every day so I know quite a bit about this from the tv end. Broadcast is always 29.97. I've never seen a flat 30 rate used. 24 is for movies playing in a theater.

The "flat" 30fps is basically for Animation purposes as far as from my workflow perspective.
When working in 3D Animation software you need to round it up to 30 or 24 if your respectively targeting 29.976 and 23.976.
There are logistic reasons for this from the pro world e.g. Pixar, etc...
For cel animation its still an odd but wonderful world of 9 to 12fps but moreso hand drawn.
Apps like Animo and ToonBoom will spit out more frames to accomodate target but files do get bigger.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
...Broadcast is always 29.97. I've never seen a flat 30 rate used. 24 is for movies playing in a theater.

Everything broadcast by ABC, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, Disney, A&E and MLB Network is exclusively in 720p/60 (59.64 fps). This was chosen early on due partially to their high sports content, since 60 fps shows smoother motion. Their entire distribution infrastructure was built around this.

Re 30 fps, it is common (for better or worse) for even professionals to refer to 29.97 as 30 fps for brevity, and considering true 30 fps is relatively uncommon. Likewise camera menus often label 29.97 as 30 fps for conciseness, and the manual clarifies the actual frame rate. So in much of the above discussion the term 30 fps probably means 29.97.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.