The Free Suite: free alternatives for expensive programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by profit42, Dec 7, 2007.

1. profit42 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just launched a new weblog: thefreesuite.com.

On the blog I'll post a free alternative for an expensive program every week (so GIMP for Photoshop, Inskcape for Illustrator etc.). Please tell me what you think about the idea and the layout. I can use some critics... And if you like it: please spread the word!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just as long as you include Blender at some point :). Great idea for a site by the way, I had no idea about the Illustrator or Flash alternatives and they definately look worth investigating.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Nice idea. If you don't mind a bit of constructive feedback...

The dark grey colour you've used to indicate links is hardly noticeable right beside black text against a white background. You might want to change the display colour of linked text, or at least underline your links, so they are more easily seen.

4. profit42 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback!

I made the links a litle bit lighter so they are easier to notice and added a "The Suite" box for a quick overview of the posted programs.

dukebound85: That's not what I want to make. Of course one can find everything on the web, but I just want to give people a good program, every week. The don't want to search for the program, I just give it to them.

And Cromulent: I featured Blender for this week :p

to the rest: please kep the feedback coming, and if you can, please spread the word about the site (if you post something about it on the web or on your blog, please send me a PM, I really like to read articles about my own stuff), I can use some visitors :)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok gotcha. looking forward to seeing your site get updated. love finding apps!

6. profit42 thread starter macrumors newbie

added an e-mail subscription button, so if you want to get the latest free apps in your mailbox you can subscribe (no, you won't get any spam, feedburner handles the e-mails: you only get an e-mail if the rss feed updates (so if I post something new).