The Fun Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by english06, Jul 16, 2010.

  1. english06 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    #1
    Okay I need that all powerful insightful guys on these forums to help me decide what to do. I will do my best to keep this short.

    I want the new iPhone 4 and have been holding out for the white. We all now know that this will happen later this month. Bad news is that the deal I was trying to take advantage of (return the 3GS to Radio Shack for $200) ends on July 25. So here are my options.

    1. Buy a black iPhone 4 tomorrow and then return it for a white one when possible. Only thing to check on is weird fees for returns. Any knowledge would be great.

    2. The dreaded option of no iPhone for a week. I shudder to think about this.

    I honestly don't care about your opinions of Radio Shack, white iphones, llamas, or anything else and would just love some help here.
     
  2. kuaiyouming, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #4
    Buying something you don't want, knowing you are going to return it for something you do want (taking advantage of the current magnanimous return policy), but can't seem to wait for is immature and selfish. Just wait for the white.
     
  4. english06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    #5
    Oh right vs. wrong, the ancient dilemma. The only reason I asked is because I knew I'd get honest feedback.
     
  5. reservedegotist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2009
    #6
    Can't you just get $200 store credit so you can wait till the white comes out? It would only be 5 days of waiting anyway if you could.
     
  6. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #7
    I'm sure you're aware that if you buy the black, Apple won't allow you to trade for the white.


    Sell your 3GS on craigslist once the white comes out.... You'll get at least $200.......
     
  7. english06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    #8
    That's what option 2 is. I just have to give up a phone for about a week. No backup since my friend decided to go break his and take my 3G.

    But by definition a return policy says you can return a product for whatever reason as long as it's not broken within x amount of days. I'm pretty sure there are like 3 threads on the first couple pages of people who bought the black on launch day waiting for the white. I'm not near that extreme.
     
  8. english06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
  9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #10
    If you can't live a week without an iPhone (or any phone), then that's just sad. I'm sorry if that sounds blunt but I had to wait over 2 weeks just to be able to go to a store. I'd suggest you either get the black and stick with it or wait for the white (they start shipping end of July). Apple/AT&T allows you to exchange/return the phone but no color swaps. You could return the phone for a full refund and then go back to the store for the white but is it worth the hassle (canceling contract, activating new phone, bill confusion, etc.)?
     
  10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

    Fernandez21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    #11
    Get a cheap AT&T gophone (they run about $20 at walmart) pop your sim in there and use it for a week while you wait for the white iPhone.
     
  11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    Location:
    New Sanfrakota
    #12
    You're selling your 3GS to Radio Shack for $200? Jailbreak and unlock it and ebay it for more than $200 after you get your white iPhone.

    Do the honest and right thing.
     
  12. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #13
    I shudder at the paradox that includes 'Jailbreak' and 'Honest and right thing' in the same post. :eek: But that is the best solution. You can easily do this, get more than $200 for your phone and resolve all your dilemmas, all without having to use return policies that are in place for buyers remorse and not to get your cake and eat it too.

    Option 2, buy the white iPhone when it comes out, realize that it is only $200 which I'm sorry is not that much $$, and if you can afford a 3GS, and now an iP4, you are probably not hurting too bad, and consider giving - yes this includes someone else getting something for free - I said consider giving your 3GS to a family member or loved one of some sort.

    I have gone both routes.

    I sold my original iPhone to buy the 3G so that it cost me nothing to upgrade.
    And I gave my wife my iPhone 3G when I got the iP4, though truth be told it was a birthday gift from her, and when she decides she really doesn't want an iPhone and she is done humoring me, it will probably go to my mom who really wants one.
     
  13. english06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    #14
    Oh yeah that's how my friend has his 3G is because of me. I gave it to my brother before him so it is a giving thing. However no one currently is in need and I just saw the easy to act upon trade in deal. My only problem would be I hate to gamble everything upon an eBay auction as far as trying to swing a well priced iP4 in the end. I will go price that option now though.
     

Share This Page