Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Don't think a company is too big to fail. When was the last time you shopped at Kmart? Do you have a Sears or Montgomery Ward size hole in your local mall? Have you purchased anything from Kodak lately? Driven an Oldsmobile recently?

Even some products die off from companies. Twenty years ago, who would have predicted IBM would exit the PC market?

Apple does have its flaws. The designs, in my mind, are in dire need of refreshing. Every laptop is basically a thinner version of the Titanium PowerBook, introduced way back in 2001. There's no character to the computers like there had been, sort of like how cars have become bland crossovers that are indistinguishable from each other with a few exceptions. They're functional, sure, but they just don't have any magic to the design to help set them apart. Even though the iMac has gained colors as of late, it's just a big slab. It's not unique like the iMac G3 and G4 were. High-end Macs have been using cheese grater designs for 19 years now on-and-off. There's nothing interesting about the computers to woo new customers like you had in the early iMac era. People don't really want "thin" all the time--remember "bendgate" with the iPhone?

Usability? There are still some features, like customizing the desktop, that have been lacking since OS 9 was the current operating system.

What Apple has going for them is that the products are still better than competitors. All it takes though is one good startup to disrupt everything. Remember how Apple did that with the iPhone? The iPod? For all we know, there may be someone getting ready to launch a revolutionary new product. This parallels other industries as well--remember in the late 80s when the Acura Legend beat the European competitors in luxury sedan/coupe tests? Who would have thought the company known for small hatchbacks at the time could launch a new brand and rise to the top of the ratings in a different segment?

Another thing Apple has going for them is that they're not Google. There are a few people out there who are very much against the company and its "practices" with privacy. If they can make user privacy a priority and promise not to sell data to others, they can retain and possibly win over customers. Apple could even expand their reach there by launching more services in the name of not tracking activity or at least allowing it to be disabled completely.

There are many other things Apple needs to do. Siri is still a beta product over a decade after it was launched. It's time to finally make it more functional. The autocorrect features are very poor at guessing correct words and need to be completely updated. There also needs to be more done to reduce glare from retina displays. I have mine on "night shift" all the time. Battery life leaves a lot to be desired on some of the laptops and the chargers are entirely too large on some computers. These are all little things, but they would really add up to a better product.

Finally, Apple needs to think about making a smaller desktop. Not everyone wants a laptop and not everyone has the real estate on a desk for a huge display. If there was a 17" iMac, preferably with a design other than the boring slab in use since the G5 era in some form, I'd buy it immediately.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Part of Apple‘s success is the weakness of competitors.

- There are smartwatches, just none of those is even remotely on par with the AW
- Nothing matches Apple Silicon
- Are there even iPad competitors?

Apart from that, there is no operating system or infrastructure to match iOS, iPadOS and macOS.
All Apple’s competitors do is using Windows & Android. Which is too bad, I‘d love a third choice.
Therefore, all Apple needs to do is go ahead on that path. Noone can match them in the foreseeable future
And, since Apple’s only ever a tiny slice of the computing market, they have the luxury of completely changing direction to match what’s important TODAY at any time. If new buyers are interested in a, b, c but long time customers really want 1, 2, 3, they can focus on a, b, c, sell 10 million to new customers who don’t care about 1, 2, 3, and find another 10 million long time customers that also aren’t interested in 1, 2, 3. AND they can still make 20 million plus sales in that year while putting focus on the things that are going to keep them relevant into the future.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Where that article falls apart is failing to acknowledge that Apple, and it's devices are now an embedded, almost necessary part of our daily lives. Both as individuals, and as families. Some of us tech heads in our early 40's grew up with Apple becoming a giant and experiencing its wins, and it was all new to us. However, my children have grown up in an Apple household. Everything is Apple. Our TV, our music, our phones, iPads, laptops and our workstations (we work from home). Everything apart from our two PS5's and my wife's Surface Pro (forced upon her by her company). Apple culture and technology are embedded in our lives. And not in some monopolised way, but by active choice because the devices are great and make our lives better than without them. And yes, perhaps we could use Android/Windows, but we don't. Just like some families grow up Catholic and pass that on to their children (sorry for the analogy, although funny how religiously fanatic some Apple fans are).

Apple isn't going to die any time soon. Whether they slow down in their revolutionary new product announcements or not. Myriad of us now will be happy with constant, progressive evolution of existing product lines: phones, tablets, notebooks and desktops. We rely on these devices, and our family lives are intrinsically attached to these devices in much the same way we are attached to toasters, ovens, refrigerators, and cars.

Reactions: kitKAC

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
"The buzz is slowly wearing off."

Not sure it's even that slow. I used to be absolutely glued to Macworld keynotes, and later to Apple's own events. I would plan my evening round them (I'm in the UK). Now I just skim the MacRumors news summary, nod to myself and move on. Nothing to see here. Again.
So because YOU personally are less interested in Apple than 2002 they're less interesting overall? Do you not see the entire world looking at Apple and their events and announcements more than they ever have before? Ignorance sure must be bliss.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
So because YOU personally are less interested in Apple than 2002 they're less interesting overall? Do you not see the entire world looking at Apple and their events and announcements more than they ever have before? Ignorance sure must be bliss.
Everyone extrapolates based on their own feelings; we usually don't have the data to draw better conclusions.

But, Apple is such a big player that every announcement seems to make waves. It's hard for me to measure buzz levels without access to the web analytics, but I suspect the level is greater than 10 years ago, mostly the same as 5 years ago, and a little less than last year. That's my extrapolation.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Meh...one man's opinion. You know what Harry Calahan says about opinions. My eyes couldn't stop rolling after reading the part where he claims "Apple survives on fashion and hype."🙄🙄🙄

Apple ain't dying; they're changing direction. Does anyone remember when Toyota was a textile machinery company? Does anyone remember Nintendo as a playing card company? I'm sure folks remember when Amazon was just an online book seller.

Apple is gonna do what other megacorps have done: diversify. Honda is more than just cars and motorcycles. Heard of ASIMO? Remember when MicroSoft was all about Windows/Office?

Reports on Apple's impeding death has been greatly exaggerated.😏

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Interesting article with many good points. As an Apple customer since the first McIntosh, I too feel the magic is gone. Thoughts from the group?

Coca Cola and McDonald's make garbage, Harley Davidson make ***** motorcycles, Chevy and Ford make junk cars, and everyone for half a century has known there are infinitely better options to spend ones money on than anything these companies make. Doesn't matter. I still own stock in all of them and they keep on dominating markets. Never bet against the stupidity or general crappiness of Americans when it comes to selling them trash. Apple has already done a total 180 from nearly everything that made me love the company in its youth, and yet I have no doubt it'll continue to parade itself around as a status symbol brand and do just fine on that.

• Haha
Reactions: bwillwall

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
There were zero good points in the article. They are wrong about EVERYTHING they said.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Coca Cola and McDonald's make garbage, Harley Davidson make ***** motorcycles, Chevy and Ford make junk cars, and everyone for half a century has known there are infinitely better options to spend ones money on than anything these companies make. Doesn't matter. I still own stock in all of them and they keep on dominating markets. Never bet against the stupidity or general crappiness of Americans when it comes to selling them trash. Apple has already done a total 180 from nearly everything that made me love the company in its youth, and yet I have no doubt it'll continue to parade itself around as a status symbol brand and do just fine on that.
What's better about another tech company than Apple? Literally tell us please

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Clearly all of Japan, UK, Canada, and AUS only buy mainly iPhones because they're obsessed with USA pride and love spending money on gArBaGe 🤣

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
this reminds me of a YouTube video. a fan favourite company has only two ways to go. either die remaining a fan favourite or grow out of the niche to mainstream, and on the way earning the hate of previous fans.
apple is doing fine with their amazing products.
Can any windows laptop compare to the current M series pro or air as a collective package (performance/battery life/portability/design)? I ask that because before getting M2 air I actually went through the windows alternatives since I'm not fixed on buying from one single company. Honestly I couldn't find an equally good or better alternative.
Only company that is even near apple in tablet and wearable space is Samsung.
I agree that iPhone is lagging behind the android alternatives in many ways. But imo that has always been the case. A good android phone was always more functional than iPhone.

Anyways its fun to read these obituaries. :p

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
How? Could you elaborate?
I will rephrase it. It may vary from person to person. But i always felt that a good android phone offered more flexibility.
External storage support, split screen functionality (which is extremely useful for me and yes its on iPhone now) much before iOS, better multi tasking especially in some custom ROMs like MIUI and Samsung’s, and much better customisation options including themes, and much less of a walled garden to name a few. And the app ecosystem for mobile is not at all inferior. iOS definitely has its advantages. Iam not arguing that.

even though i have been using a mac and ipad for almost a decade, i never found a compulsion to buy an iPhone

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
either die remaining a fan favourite or grow out of the niche to mainstream, and on the way earning the hate of previous fans.
I’ve actually saw someone that wrote they liked the Apple Stores better when there weren’t so many people in them. :) They would have loved the Microsoft stores… before they closed them!

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.