The Future- more space?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sirdouglas, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sirdouglas macrumors newbie

I want to buy an iPod Touch. BUT, is it the right time? I have a lot of music, vids, and pics. I'm almost tempted to just buy the regular iPod 160gb, but I'm in love with the Touch and find the wireless really convenient, especially for podcasts. Obviously, my current best option would be the 32gb, but it's still not enough.

When will higher-storage capacity Touches start being developed? Surely we'll see 160gb some day but it could take a few years. Do you think next year's batch of new products will have a bigger-HD option? I never know when is the best time to dive in and buy a product, and I always seem to to tell myself, "Just wait because next year's product-line will be even better!"

Any advice with this? I need a Touch.

Thanks!

Doug

2. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

It's never enough (HDD).

You have to tell yourself you don't need to carry 80GB+ of your iTunes. That said after trying out the 8GB, it's just too small especially if you love to watch Movies & TV Shows on the go.

IMO 16GB is great but if you have the money for the 32GB it's even better. I have the 16GB touch and will be using the $100 difference towards the new 8GB Orange Nano.

3. sirdouglas thread starter macrumors newbie

What about next year's models? Is it worth it to wait? Will the difference be that great? I know that nobody knows obviously, but what do you expect?

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it's like the 2nd gen iPod's we cant expect anythin as we tend not to get. In the case of the 2nd gen iPod people were expecting a big upgrade some reason some expected bluetooth, gps and 3G. In the end we just got volume control buttons, nike+ and external speaker

most we could probably expect is a new look and extra storage space, personally I don't see what else they could add to the ipod touch before they start making it into an iPhone

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Next year will always be better, my advice is to buy from an apple store, keep the receipt and box in mint condition and then sell on eBay when you upgrade, that way you get the maximum for your old product.

6. gear71428 macrumors member

I think Apple has already realized that the days of holding your whole library of media on one device is coming to an end. When ipods gained internet access, they gained the ability for the user to get to their library via the internet. I'll bet Apple will position MobileMe (along with itunes) as a way for users to get this access easily.

In the mean time users will need to come to the same realization. It won't be easy because we are so conditioned already to carrying around our whole library.

But there is a lot of incentive for Apple to do this. Devices would be easier to develop if large storage isn't a requirement, itunes purchases would be more of a temptation to shoppers (which is probably the reason Apple focused on that first) and selling MobileMe subscriptions (for easy transfers of owned content) will eventually be a big money maker.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

gear71428 your a step behind the app store lol theres a program for mobileme called MobileFiles and it lets you access multiple mobileme idisk and download from them including music by the looks of the screenshots.

check it out on the app store it's also free ;)

8. gear71428 macrumors member

Well there you go, your whole media library is now available through the internet. You only need enough storage space on your ipod to go from one hot spot to another.

9. sirdouglas thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, sounds pretty cool. I'm not really familiar with MobileMe and MobileFiles... so must my computer (which has my music library) be connected to the internet at the time I'm trying to access all my files using my Touch? Will I be able to browse these files from my Touch just like I would view my music library on it?.. just click a song and let it play? Sounds nifty if so.

When is the next Ipod Touch release anyways?

Thanks guys,

Doug

10. acedew macrumors member

I haven't used MobileFiles (but if it's free, I'll go get it :eek:), but...

MobileMe is a service you can purchase ($100 a year) through Apple that gives you 20GB of online storage on an iDisk, among other things. You would have to copy your music library out to your iDisk and maintain it there via Finder, or the Finder-like web interface. You could then download files onto your iPod whenever you're in WiFi range and play them through MobileFile's Finder-like interface. I don't think you'd want to use iDisk and MobileFiles for your default listening experience, even if it does mean that your music can be accessed from anywhere. It would be time consuming, space consuming, and not very much of a savings when you consider the price of MobileMe service. You wouldn't be able to use any of the features of the iPod music player like Genius, saving your place in a Podcast or Audio Book, shuffle (and possibly continuous play, depends on MobileFiles), coverflow, double-clicking the Home button for music controls, etc. It's a great backup plan, though, so I think I'll go get MobileFiles and check it out.

11. acedew macrumors member

Oh, and in response to the thread topic, you could wait and see if they come out with a 64GB version at MacWorld 2009 in January...