The future of apps

gosabres1984

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone think it's possible for these apps to realistically be developed one day?

-Garage door opener
-Keyless entry for car (for most newer models)
-Universal remote (tv) without external add ons

Thoughts?

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
i think its def feasible...they just need to be implimented. what ever device the car would have to have would have to operate in the cell freq or wifi/bluetooth freq.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
About a year ago, I saw some mention of work being done on an "iKey" (the actual word iKey is trademarked by different companies) where the iPhone could disarm a house alarm, work as a remote, work as a RFID badge at a company, provide proximity detection so if someone walks off from their computer, it would lock their machine, etc.

Since that Slashdot article, I've not seen much since. I'd love the idea though, and it could be done in a decently secure manner, mainly by finding a way to key in a code offline, and pair the devices up similar to a Bluetooth pairing. The latest Bluetooth standard supports very low voltage/small battery uses, so even that might be usable. This way, once the devices are paired, it would just take an app launch to open something.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
About a year ago, I saw some mention of work being done on an "iKey" (the actual word iKey is trademarked by different companies) where the iPhone could disarm a house alarm, work as a remote, work as a RFID badge at a company, provide proximity detection so if someone walks off from their computer, it would lock their machine, etc.

Since that Slashdot article, I've not seen much since. I'd love the idea though, and it could be done in a decently secure manner, mainly by finding a way to key in a code offline, and pair the devices up similar to a Bluetooth pairing. The latest Bluetooth standard supports very low voltage/small battery uses, so even that might be usable. This way, once the devices are paired, it would just take an app launch to open something.
One device that controls every bit of security in your entire life? That sounds smart...

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
ADT has a nifty app that allows you to arm/disarm your system, turn on lights etc. I'm still kind of amazed that I can deposit checks from my phone.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I think the future of apps is here already. (grammar wut)

There's not really that much to be developed...even when it comes to adding new features to a device and utilizing those features in an app, we are pretty limited in what's to come.

If we are talking about a smartphone specifically. Pretty soon it will all be embedded to the brain and everything will be integrated augmented reality.