The Future of Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Thunderbird, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

With Apple dropping support for Windows 7 in Bootcamp on new Mac Pros, it made me wonder about what the future holds for Bootcamp.

Does anyone think Apple will do away with Bootcamp altogether in the near future?

Would Apple ever design their own CPU chips, making Microsoft software incompatible?

Or do you think Bootcamp is here to stay.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I don't see them dropping the support. I believe that Microsoft is not a current threat to Apple. Only after many years from today when iOS is fully integrated with Mac OS X and becomes the next OS and if they decide to run it with their unique processors maybe, but I still think it is far fetched.

3. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I must admit that I only have Bootcamp installed to play games and I am slowly trying to move away from Bootcamp reliance for some games, only recently I stopped playing Neverwinter Nights under Bootcamp because when run in a Wine wrapper, believe it not it runs better less hassle with graphics settings and things.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Vmware as that fits my needs better then bootcamp. I have little need for bootcamp, though I may not be a typical user.

5. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

A lot of people decided to try Mac because it supported windows, myself included. To be honest I use OSX about 99% of the time but when I need it, I can use windows or quite often Linux since I have a triple boot setup. Microsoft will probably never built their own PCs since they own the OS market anyway and for years to come. For each of us ready to spend a lot on a Mac there are 9 people who would prefer to spend a lot less on a PC, even if that PC will most certainly need to be upgraded/switched in the near future, costing more money on the mid term.

The human being is a creature of habit and most people won't change unless they have to. Even if OSX is simpler to use, people are afraid that it will be so different that they won't be able to use it at all. I'm an IT consultant and I see it everyday.

6. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

So Bootcamp isn't likely to disappear anytime soon?

Good. :)