Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I buy CDs. EXCEPT: I buy B sides from the iTMS, then strip the DRM with FairGame. I refuse to buy albums and singles for B sides.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Whatever happened to the SuperCD? Did it become yet another failed Sony format?

Edit: I meant Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD), obviously...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i often wonder about the future of CDs. i think it's great artists are adding bonus DVDs and material for value-add....BUT, i think if some of them spent more time making quality music, then people would buy more CDs.

i don't buy many CDs anymore b/c i've been screwed too many times in buying a CD with 3...MABYE 4 good songs and then the rest suck. that is really why i sometimes buy from itunes instead of a CD.

that said, I still buy CDs when it's a favourite artist ie. norah jones and mellencamp this month. i'll be at futureshop 1st thing in the morning for those.

cheers,
keebler

Whatever happened to the SuperCD? Did it become yet another failed Sony format?

Edit: I meant Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD), obviously...

The perfect example of how to steal more money from the consumer who believe in quality.

Well , audiophiles will always argue that the vinil still have better sound than cds... that is because of the analogic vs digital. digital need sampling and if it is not maximum then you get a sound that can be differenciated by the experience listener

SACD and DVD-Audio provide much better sampling and allows the mixing of 5.1
There is no doubt that with that the vinil argument doesn't stand any more and there is no scratch (good/bad according to the person)
So what is wrong with those? well what is wrong is that you can do the same with an already existing format! DVD (and soon coming BD and HD-DVD)
What was the point in creating two new competing formats that can't be play on normal player whereas DVD are widely available??
I have couple of SACD and i can't tell the advantage of it, compare to the Beatles-Love DVD. (called audio-dvd).
There is nothing else but the title of the song on the screen so all the disk can be used for the music... DTS and DD
I do appreciate good quality but i will be glad when SACD and DVD-A will be discontinued and album will be release in a widely supported format with the same sampling as SACD/DVD-A be it DVD, DB, HD-DVD

bozigle

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What was the point in creating two new competing formats that can't be play on normal player whereas DVD are widely available??

DVD-Audio will play on a regular DVD player and will be at "DVD quality" (I believe it plays at the highest quality supported by the DVD spec). When using a DVD-A compatible player, you get 96 kHz 24-bit sound.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
You back up when you import into iTunes.

:p

Assuming you rip everything you have - in other words you have to make the backup yourself. Lost download files from iTMS can be downloaded again (once, apparently).

Even so, I still prefer CDs, mainly for flexibility over bitrate, and DRM which involves some admin I'd rather not do. :p

DVD-Audio will play on a regular DVD player and will be at "DVD quality" (I believe it plays at the highest quality supported by the DVD spec). When using a DVD-A compatible player, you get 96 kHz 24-bit sound.

my bad...
DVD-Audio were once incompatible with computer and i assumed that you still needed a dedicated player same as for SACD.

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video 96kHz 24-bit is supported format for DVD-Video... so a compatible player for DVD-A could have been , on the paper... a normal dvd player...

bozigle

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
- low quality. when do we get the choice to have mp3 or lossless?
We won't, at least not until DRM falls out of fashion with content owners. There is no quality loss if you capture and reencode a lossless file or stream, rendering the the DRM useless (the ineffectiveness of CD copy protection on Macs is a good demonstration of this).

Some companies are already toying with the idea of giving up on DRM, so what's available for download could change in the future.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I don't think the current DRM system is going to be here for long. People are realising that it's too easy to get around, but gets in the way too often.

CDs are the way forwards IMO. You can get extra data on the disk, nobody ever fills the entire CD up, there's always free space...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I don't think that digital sales of music will ever outpace that of a physical format. People will always want something tangible when they purchase something and for music it's a CD.

I'm betting that you're over 25.

Younger music buyers have no problem with no physical media. Look at the success of ring-tones. It's a huge industry.

I buy 99% of music on vinyl (due to the type of music I buy) but when I do buy digital I like full-fat wavs (or lossless) and no DRM. This is available in a few places, just not iTunes.

CDs are a dying format now, given that digital downloads are possible. It's impossible to ignore that.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't do digital downloads because of the quality, drm, lack of music avaliable and most importantly because i love really well made CDs.

I am talking about the box, the cd front and the inlay, when done well a CD is easily a work of art. Not many people bother though which is a shame.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I don't think the current DRM system is going to be here for long. People are realising that it's too easy to get around, but gets in the way too often.

I think Apple's DRM approach is pretty good. They have big pressure from the record industry to have that DRM but implement it in a way thats not too restrictive.

I mean, look at the Zune fiasco for how bad you can screw up DRM.

There is no way in the world that iTunes would ever go DRM free. Especially now the movie industry is getting involved. They have hardware DRM stuff like HDCP (coming to an apple LCD display near you soon!). This is where it will get interesting.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I think Apple's DRM approach is pretty good. They have big pressure from the record industry to have that DRM but implement it in a way thats not too restrictive.

I mean, look at the Zune fiasco for how bad you can screw up DRM.

There is no way in the world that iTunes would ever go DRM free. Especially now the movie industry is getting involved. They have hardware DRM stuff like HDCP (coming to an apple LCD display near you soon!). This is where it will get interesting.

eMusic is doing pretty good sans DRM, and yahoo! etc have given it a try.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
eMusic is doing pretty good sans DRM, and yahoo! etc have given it a try.

Oh aye I know that. It's just that they are dwarfed by iTunes who are in turn dwarfed by the power of the music industry. Whilst Apple does have some power over that industry they'll in no way accept a DRM free situation. Then as even more pressure they have the power of the movie industry stepping up with even more DRM demands.

The indicator of where the world is going with DRM is how DRM-laden Vista will be when it eventually lands. Now, whether Apple increase the intrusiveness of their DRM will be the interesting thing to watch not whether they remove it.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
iTunes is good for the odd song ( free music on a tuesday) however like the op i like to have a real audio CD from my favourite bands so i can rip at a better quality than iTMS. i rarely go below 160kbps and i only have about 10 albums on lossless.

i burn data DVD's and have an external HD to back up my library, but i dont worry about the data CD's not playing in things because i jusp plug in my iPod via cassette adapter, iTrip or line out to my car stereo and TV/surround system.

KEEP REAL CDS

barnacle

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
sigh,,i have been around long enough to say i lived with vynal, 8 track tape, cassetts, reel to reel tape and cd's. with the passing of each, it ment something even better to come. hell, i can't wait to see what's next!

sigh,,i have been around long enough to say i lived with vynal, 8 track tape, cassetts, reel to reel tape and cd's. with the passing of each, it ment something even better to come. hell, i can't wait to see what's next!

That micro-thing-disk that Tommy Lee Jones was holding up in "Men In Black." Something like, "Now I'm going to have to buy the white album again...."

I still have a record or two somewhere, and just got rid of the reel-to-reel.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
There are some excellent observations and suggestions in this thread. Too bad no one from ITMS will ever read them. :( :rolleyes:

but when I do buy digital I like full-fat wavs (or lossless) and no DRM. This is available in a few places, just not iTunes.
Where is this?

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I don't do digital downloads because of the quality, drm, lack of music avaliable and most importantly because i love really well made CDs.

I am talking about the box, the cd front and the inlay, when done well a CD is easily a work of art. Not many people bother though which is a shame.

Yes, thats why I love vinyl and CDs as well.
But.... thats all just fluff isn't it?

The music is whats important at the end of the day.
Not the packaging.
Not the physical format.

While artwork and nice inlays are a bonus, they really shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the music.

I used to love and take great pride in my physical music collection, but since going digital, they have lost some significance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.