Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Says the guy with a commodore avatar :D:p, sorry, I found that very funny.

But what happens time and again in these forums is that people think their usecase is the prevailing one.
But macrumors isn't a good representation/crossection of the users of electronic devices. Not even the subgroup of Apple users. A lot of people here have much more interest in computers, laptops, phones tablets and whatnot. I think they also have a tendency to use more and heavier programs.

Why were netbooks such a success? Why are chrome books still somewhat popular? Cheap and the features people needed/wanted. Plus a bit of a hype.
iPads have been the same, (not-very-)cheap, friendly, easy to use. And they last really long. My iPad Original is still being used, as is the iPad mini original.
I plan to use my pro's for around 3-4 years professionally and then my kids will use them for a few more years.

I think it's safe to say that most team leaders/division managers/CEO/CFO's never need a laptop anymore. How often do they create original content? A few documents? Perhaps some numbers? Most writing is email, but that isn't any problem on an iPad. But ±80% is reading, commenting, reviewing, annotating.
So many business information systems are web-based or at least web-accessible, so that isn't a problem anymore either.
In meetings it is much more convenient to have a tablet then a computer. It is more open, less looking like playing battleship/stratego board games. And people can't check their Facebook/instagram/snap that easily anymore.

At home, how many people create documents/excel's/do Serious work stuff? Most, from what is see is around me, is binging series, doodling in pigment, viewing holiday photos and compiling the albums and reading comics. Why not do that on an iPad? iPad Pro 12.9"?
[doublepost=1495041883][/doublepost]

Documents 5 / PDF expert 6 could do it locally in the iPad as well. But clouds do make it much, much easier with multiple devices/ os's
[doublepost=1495042162][/doublepost]

Readdle scanner Pro could have combined the, in one PDF, perhaps documents 5 is able to do the same. Let me check.
Edit: documents 5 can merge files, so that should be possible as well. Printer pro/scanner pro could turn jpg's into pdfs and merge them as well.
Thank all who answered for the info given. Bottom line for me is, it was so much easier to click Export as PDF at top of email than all those steps and app(s) it would take on the ipad. So I'll just keep using my mbp which should last another five years and maybe by then Apple will have upgraded at least one of its ipad options to truly replace a computer.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
If you feel good with the MBP, it's a really nice laptop, so enjoy!
I'm always on the go, often by car, sometimes by train, I need to read a lot of PDF's, annotate them, write little bits of texts, some emails etc. So for me it works and it is a delight to have 4G/LTE and the Pencil.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I used to think so. But iPad's business is shrinking. Apple has to evolve the iPad to make it really the future of computers. Or it will shrink even further and become a niche product or disappear.

Apple's plans for the iPad are probably big. As popular as Macs may be, they are still a failure, as they were never able to catch up as much as PCs. They are a successful business, but Apple is an ambitious company. The iPad may be the door to the mainstream computing, but Apple is currently failing to catch the attention of people. The iPad is beautiful and does a lot of things, and smoothly. But if you really need to get work done, then you need a real computer. The iPad will not become a real computer replacement unless it can do anything a computer can, and in a more efficient way.
[doublepost=1495256685][/doublepost]
Me neither. I actually like my iPad better than my mac and don't feel like its some gigantic compromise I'm making. But apparently I'm just a noob who can use "toys" to get work done despite all the cool productivity stuff I've done with it

That is fine. But lots of people cannot use iPads instead of laptops yet. Microsoft Office for Windows, for instance, is far more powerful than Microsoft Office for iPad. And there are lots of people and companies who need this power. So, you cannot rule out computers in favor of iPads. Perhaps you can do it on your own, but people in general cannot.

Reactions: KohPhiPhi

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
No, not mouse support, I wouldn't consider carrying one around : as many keep asking, simply a proper file system that allows finding, opening and saving files with any appripriate app. Plus simple file transfer onto an SD- card or USB-stick. Without a filesystem iOS is not a real operating system for me. It makes everything so complicated!

Imagine sitting your iPad at your desk and air-playing the display to your computer monitor whilst using a bluetooth mouse. When you need to leave work, you simply pick up your iPad and head out the door, using the touch interface whilst you are mobile. Sure, someone could carry a mouse around with them if they really needed to but integrating mouse input on my iPad would almost render my MacBook Air (that lives in Clamshell mode at all times at work) completely useless.

Reactions: mr.bee

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Imagine sitting your iPad at your desk and air-playing the display to your computer monitor whilst using a bluetooth mouse. When you need to leave work, you simply pick up your iPad and head out the door, using the touch interface whilst you are mobile. Sure, someone could carry a mouse around with them if they really needed to but integrating mouse input on my iPad would almost render my MacBook Air (that lives in Clamshell mode at all times at work) completely useless.
Why not with your iPhone? Foldable screen that unfolds to 7" when on the go!

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Too bad we live in the present!
Which is already the past within the world of technology.
[doublepost=1495310655][/doublepost]
Why not with your iPhone? Foldable screen that unfolds to 7" when on the go!
Yeah the iPhone could work in a similar situation but the lack of screen space limits the amount of productivity, especially if dual screen was an option. Basically I'm wishing for a Microsoft Continuum/Samsung Dex, Motorola Atrix/etc equivalent, done properly by Apple utilising the Apple Pen, Wireless KB and Mouse on iPad. Maybe they could bring back their displays with an Apple TV equivalent receiver built in to automatically mirror the display of your iOS devices.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Which is already the past within the world of technology.
[doublepost=1495310655][/doublepost]
Yeah the iPhone could work in a similar situation but the lack of screen space limits the amount of productivity, especially if dual screen was an option. Basically I'm wishing for a Microsoft Continuum/Samsung Dex, Motorola Atrix/etc equivalent, done properly by Apple utilising the Apple Pen, Wireless KB and Mouse on iPad. Maybe they could bring back their displays with an Apple TV equivalent receiver built in to automatically mirror the display of your iOS devices.
Hope springs eternal iirc?
But I have to say I don't miss a mouse when I use jump desktop with my pencil and keyboard on the iPP 12.9
[doublepost=1495310851][/doublepost]But the continuum feature would be awesome:connect a huge display to my iPad when at home....
Then again, it's about once or twice a months that I want a 27" display for excel files.

areskins

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2016
In my med school, almost all of us primarily use an ipad instead of a macbook. We read a lot of ebooks and pdf files. I can see the ipad being the future of computing for students who only need word processing software.The ipad is really useful when studying while walking and while standing inside the train.

Plugging the ipad to a projector, doing real-time annotations during presentations, and quickly sharing files through email/dropbox/airdrop is cool as well. My only gripe is that I dont have a wireless printer so I still need a computer with a USB type A to plug in and print. Besides that, the ipad is a great machine.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I used to think so. But iPad's business is shrinking. Apple has to evolve the iPad to make it really the future of computers. Or it will shrink even further and become a niche product or disappear.

Shrinking? Maybe you mean the rate of growth has slowed, but iPad is still growing.

Apple's plans for the iPad are probably big. As popular as Macs may be, they are still a failure, as they were never able to catch up as much as PCs. They are a successful business, but Apple is an ambitious company. The iPad may be the door to the mainstream computing, but Apple is currently failing to catch the attention of people. The iPad is beautiful and does a lot of things, and smoothly.

I don't get it. Is Mac a failure, or a successful business? I don't think it matters how ambitious Apple wants to be, but it would be hard to argue that the Mac isn't incredibly successful.

But if you really need to get work done, then you need a real computer. The iPad will not become a real computer replacement unless it can do anything a computer can, and in a more efficient way.
[doublepost=1495256685][/doublepost]

That is fine. But lots of people cannot use iPads instead of laptops yet. Microsoft Office for Windows, for instance, is far more powerful than Microsoft Office for iPad. And there are lots of people and companies who need this power. So, you cannot rule out computers in favor of iPads. Perhaps you can do it on your own, but people in general cannot.

Ah yes, the infamous real work / real computer argument.

You know what's already become a real computer replacement for most people? The smartphone. The iPad does not have to do everything a "real computer" does to be successful or be ideal for most consumers.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This might make sense for the general population, but what about business professionals? I need document storage, access the database files, the ability to download, create, edit, and save documents. I know a cloud based system might help, but in my business many documents are sensitive and privacy is an issue. Storing them on a cloud server is out of the question. I would also need a keyboard for extended periods of typing. So if I add a keyboard mine as well bring a laptop.

As a matter of fact I just added a desktop to the mix. Keep sensitive docs at home. I also edit a lot of video. iPad or iPhone is rudementary at best. Not very productive.

For people like my wife it makes perfect sense. We are talking about selling her laptop because she never uses it. Most of her time is spent with an iPhone or iPad. For me that would not work.

For the people who still need a laptop or desktop, they will still exist. For those who only need an iPhone or iPad, they'll go that route. I don't think it will ever be one or the other exclusively, but instead the number of iPad's (cars) will slowly creep into the number of laptops/desktops (trucks) needed. Everyone wants this accelerated in regards to the iOS software, but Apple are content doing a little bit at a time.

Reactions: profets

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Ah yes, the infamous real work / real computer argument.

You know what's already become a real computer replacement for most people? The smartphone. The iPad does not have to do everything a "real computer" does to be successful or be ideal for most consumers.

Hahaha, do you remember those "I'm a PC, and I'm a Mac" adds? Mac's couldn't do real work, like spreadsheets and stuff.
It's the same discussion all over again.

Reactions: ericwn and profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hahaha, do you remember those "I'm a PC, and I'm a Mac" adds? Mac's couldn't do real work, like spreadsheets and stuff.
It's the same discussion all over again.

You know, I've thought about that before. Pretty strong parallel to that 10-15 years ago.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
The iPad Pro is a great little device that can replace what most everyday people do on a laptop (web browsing, Netflix, email) but it could do with a few more pro features. I love the multitasking features and use it daily along with picture in picture which is also brilliant. If you are a serious video editor then no the iPad Pro isn't for you, it does have it's limits. I don't think that Apple should put a full version of Mac OS on the iPad Pro and I don't think they will.

Have you had a look at the app called Luma Fusion? It's full multitrack video editor. Multiple layers of both video and audio. Though not sure if it can import audio on multiple channels from one source like I used at the CTV studio for editing (they used Velocity from Harris). But the layout is very very similar to Velocity and you can do pretty much everything including insert at, put in and out points, overwrite, scissor tool, speed or slow down clips, freeze frame, zoom effects, blur effects and like 40 odd video effects actually... timeline layout is very very similar.

Trust me if you have only looked at iMovie or other single track editors you need to check this out!! It's not free though... which is to be expected.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I think most people already do this on their phone. So how big of a market can there be for people to put down their phones and pick up an iPad to continue doing the same thing (with the same limitations)?

Screen real estate.

I can and have done graphics on my phone... much prefer doing it on iPad Pro 12.9 which has a few benefits over my MBB.

- I can directly touch the graphics and use my Finger to erase background etc and trace objects. Way better than a trackpad. For the laptop I'd have to use a Wacom or something similar.
- Using my solid Walnut stand and the Apple BT magic keyboard it's like I have a mini desktop. If I am working on something I can easily switch between portrait or landscape mode just by picking the iPad prop up and turning it on it's side. For doing graphics for poster or even word documents being able to see the entire page at once without having to zoom in and cut half it off in landscape mode on a laptop is huge benefit!

The limitations on IPP right now are not hardware. It's fully capable of running full photoshop. Why Adobe chose to split PS into 3 apps is beyond me. I have been using Pixlr for its support of layers and it's ability to import new fonts.

I use coda for coding webpages but really want a wysiwyg editor. The limitation is Adobe not the capability of the iPad. Get with it Adobe :)

Reactions: akdj and alecgold

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Screen real estate.

I can and have done graphics on my phone... much prefer doing it on iPad Pro 12.9 which has a few benefits over my MBB.

- I can directly touch the graphics and use my Finger to erase background etc and trace objects. Way better than a trackpad. For the laptop I'd have to use a Wacom or something similar.
- Using my solid Walnut stand and the Apple BT magic keyboard it's like I have a mini desktop. If I am working on something I can easily switch between portrait or landscape mode just by picking the iPad prop up and turning it on it's side. For doing graphics for poster or even word documents being able to see the entire page at once without having to zoom in and cut half it off in landscape mode on a laptop is huge benefit!

The limitations on IPP right now are not hardware. It's fully capable of running full photoshop. Why Adobe chose to split PS into 3 apps is beyond me. I have been using Pixlr for its support of layers and it's ability to import new fonts.

I use coda for coding webpages but really want a wysiwyg editor. The limitation is Adobe not the capability of the iPad. Get with it Adobe :)

I was trying to pinpoint why developers aren't making desktop class applications for the iPad. Do you feel that it is because they don't want to give up the 30% to Apple? So they release "light" versions of their apps to entice people to the real thing? I think that if Apple relaxed it's app store rules and policies, it would help in this regard. Maybe?

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
Have you had a look at the app called Luma Fusion? It's full multitrack video editor. Multiple layers of both video and audio. Though not sure if it can import audio on multiple channels from one source like I used at the CTV studio for editing (they used Velocity from Harris). But the layout is very very similar to Velocity and you can do pretty much everything including insert at, put in and out points, overwrite, scissor tool, speed or slow down clips, freeze frame, zoom effects, blur effects and like 40 odd video effects actually... timeline layout is very very similar.

Trust me if you have only looked at iMovie or other single track editors you need to check this out!! It's not free though... which is to be expected.
I second this. I use this daily and it's my preferred video editor over premier and final cut.
[doublepost=1495805771][/doublepost]
I was trying to pinpoint why developers aren't making desktop class applications for the iPad. Do you feel that it is because they don't want to give up the 30% to Apple? So they release "light" versions of their apps to entice people to the real thing? I think that if Apple relaxed it's app store rules and policies, it would help in this regard. Maybe?
It's due to sandbox environments, API limits, backwards compatibility to older iPad devices and a max 4gb app size.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I second this. I use this daily and it's my preferred video editor over premier and final cut.
[doublepost=1495805771][/doublepost]
It's due to sandbox environments, API limits, backwards compatibility to older iPad devices and a max 4gb app size.

Hmm, makes sense. This is where Apple needs to make the most improvements then, in my eyes.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD

What stand do you have? I'm waiting for the yohann.com stand in oak for my 9.7" and 12.9.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
"The future of computing is the iPad" is Apple rhetoric. Obviously its true because being a newer method of computing it will see more use moving forward and it will obviously see continual refinement.

That would have been like Karl Benz saying "The future of transportation is the automobile" as an ambulance took him to the hospital in his final days.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
What stand do you have? I'm waiting for the yohann.com stand in oak for my 9.7" and 12.9.

I use the Baseus one. You can get either solid Walnut which looks amazing and is what I have or a lighter one which is maple I think.... to switch viewing angles to a lower drawing mode just flip the stand over. It works both ways in either portrait or landscape. The drawing angle is actually perfect like 30 degrees I think.

2f05174002d57fc7d275f187ab52fc90.jpg

Reactions: akdj and Traverse

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I use the Baseus one. You can get either solid Walnut which looks amazing and is what I have or a lighter one which is maple I think.... to switch viewing angles to a lower drawing mode just flip the stand over. It works both ways in either portrait or landscape. The drawing angle is actually perfect like 30 degrees I think.

I'm looking at this one, walnut or oak:

p1-for-apple-ipad-pro-oak.jpg

ipad-pro-stand-yohann-p1-walnut.jpg

It can do portrait and landscape in three angles.
iPad-Pro-stand-Yohann-3-angles.jpg

I want my desk to look like this to.
iPad-Halterung-yohann-iPad-Pro-Schreibtisch-1024x591.jpg

Empty desk, check
Two iPP's check
Apple magic keyboard, check
Ugly titanium mug, check,
Daylight, well, eeehm, who needs that?!

Now the yohanns...

But the price...

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Let me know when you can do parametric solid modeling with an iPad.

I look forward to my customers being able to order a part, plug the parameters they want in on the web form, the web form updating the database, the database updating the 3D cad model, the cad model updating the machine code, and sending it to the CNC Mill and the robot pulling it off and sending it to shipping.

All run on an iPad. Why stop there, lets make it a wristwatch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.