The future of iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tejaykay, Nov 9, 2008.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

So I've been patiently waiting for my 24 month mobile contract to finish so I can move to iPhone on the UK carrier O2. This will finally happen next March. While I read a lot of information here. I see very little regarding the future of the handset in terms of hardware. I fully expect Apple to slowly release new software and keep us all happy.

However, when will the next generation of iPhone arrive? I fully understand that it will be on 3G for some time (at least until 2010), but in terms of the aesthetics; when will we see change? Looking at Apple's product cycles, will we be expecting a new handset in the Summer of '09?

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I think we might see some updates at WWDC or MWSF, but not major. Anytime soon would probably actually be a good time to buy.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

As the 3G was just released a few months ago I think it is nearly impossible to predict what future hardware will look like. In fact, Apple might not even know at this point. They, like all other companies, are keeping a close eye on emerging technologies and determining which may potentially apply to their device.

4. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I agree. However, there was no real design overhaul with the new model other than the change in tapering, colouring and material for the rear panel. As far as my research has gone, I have been unable to find a comprehensive rumour mill for the potential of a new handset.

I'm sure you must understand that we've had the same fascia since the introduction of the handset back in 2007. I'm also pretty confident in Apple's design team having some new stuff up their sleeves ;).

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i also think that by march you will have a better idea of what may be coming up for an iphone...

6. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Anyone remember that false image on the iTMS of an aluminum iPhone that looked a lot like the iMacs? I'd love that. I want them to lose the chrome, it scratches too easily.

Here's what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

And don't complain to me about Aluminum making the range worse, my iPhone gets better reception than all of my friends 3Gs, so back off. Apple did it to lower costs, I'd love a premium iPhone again made of aluminum. First step backward Apple has made in a little while.

7. joseluis.17 macrumors regular

i think it gonna take a while until the next hardware update and I think we are going to see a better camera and may be a front camera but i don't know
    i just hope next one it cooler :)

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I think we'll hear something about a new phone 2009Maybe a summer annoucement for a q3/q4 release

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You're basically asking about version 3 of the iPhone.
    By March, there is a small likelihood of a 32GB iPhone, but more likely to be announced in June. Yearly versin updates seems possible - as they can change and modify a lot. 2.2 software or even 2.3 by March.

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think it's very likely we'll get yearly updates, so looking for something to be announced at June/July time.

Phazer

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple isn't going to wait 16 months between storage increases. I just don't see that at all. I'm also hoping they start doing at least one a year so they can get to the 64GB mark and I can REALLY feel like I have enough room (hello, video).

I also don't think 2.2 will take until March. If it's just the podcast thing and one or two other minor things, it'll be soon. A 2.3 update with other much-desired features could then happen by then.