The future of LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Sep 20, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Is Att going to be a player or not?

Who are going to be the players?

Marc

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Wait, what? MacRumors...?

... Never heard of it.
    >.>
    <.<

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

It appears that Att is more dedicated to enhance and better 3G than to jump into lte. Seems like Verizon might be the player and that Att might not.

I wonder how this will effect Att if they don't become prominent player.

And since the world is prominently GSM, is the rest of the world embracing lte?

Marc

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

What does at&t's network have to do with the iPhone? Just wondering seeing as this is in the iPhone section.

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Essentially the iPhone is partly driving AT&T's move forward because if it's appetite for Data consumption.

The reason AT&T has trouble with it's service sometimes is the amount of cell sites and bandwidth utilized by iPhone devices, there is no other carrier with a single device that consumes 1/2 of what the iPhone's out there consume.

Verizon's network would be slow too, and the fact they can only push Voice or Data at one time limits their ability to provide feasible service to an iPhone device.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    And since ATT is still at least 40% of iPhone world sales, what ATT wants (or allows) often drives iPhone capabilities.

Individual devices don't matter. It's the total usage picture that counts.

The reasons ATT has trouble, are because they didn't have the backhaul, and they didn't site their towers correctly for 3G (WCDMA because they didn't start with CDMA radio experience, unlike Verizon, and they've reportedly set up their internet network incorrectly. They're now fixing all of this.

Verizon's separation of voice and data is a major reason why they don't suffer from dropped calls due to data overload, as ATT does. Many users gladly rely on a solid connection of one type, over a flaky simultaneous setup.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

I'd go through your entire post and pick it apart, but this statement jumped out at me.

If this were true, I wouldn't have been experiencing this problem since back in 1998 when my phone didn't have anything internet related on it.

9. jonsuh macrumors member

Both AT&T and Verizon will go LTE. Verizon launching initial LTE in late 2010 earlier though than ATT which is in mid 2011.

LTE is supposed to go up in phases though. Original LTE is technically supposed to be considered 3.9G, until LTE Advanced which will be 4G.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you defend Verizon and/or CDMA a lot..and you shoot subtle slugs at AT&T all the time...just an observation