The Future of Mac OS X on PowerPC...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by StuartCH, Sep 27, 2008.

1. StuartCH macrumors member

Hello Every one, I have bin Urging to make this Thread Ever Since the Rumor came up that Snow Leopard would be Intel Only, this will probably be true and it is quite upsetting for alot of Loyal PowerPC users (I my self Do not have/Can't Afford an intel Mac). Apple may seem foolish doing such a thing but they have to move ahead into the Future (Which is Intel), There may be a possibility (16% I say) that apple may make a "FareWell/Last Resort OS" for PowerPC Users who still want to hold onto there machines for an extra couple of Years, I Personally think if there is one it should be called Mac OS X Mountain Leopard with the capability to run on 500MHz G3's to 2.8GHz G5's, this is very unlikely but I for one Believe this Because apple has alot of Loyal PowerPC users, and Apple should be Loyal Back to Them.
    Sorry if I wasted any Minutes of your Life by making you Read this, but I just wanted to get it out.

Stuart:apple:

2. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

What does PPC have to offer that the intel systems don't? I can understand if you want to not spend money if you already have a PPC system, though. Other than that, I don't see any negatives for the intel systems.

3. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

LEGACY

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What about using what will be the legacy OS? ;)
    I don't quite see how an older (legacy) system or inferior (legacy system is a decent recent answer to what PPC has to offer that the intel systems don't?

Apple has back compatibility to an extent, it also has older OS that are still being run, and to an extent, still updated.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I still have and use a PowerBook 15 inch running Tiger.

In some ways it is better than my MBP15 running Tiger.
    - Waking from sleep.
    - Switching Internet connections/locations.
    - Ability to run a clone on a different PPC Mac.
    - Ability to run the Classic environment.
    - S-Video out built in.
    - PC Card slot.

Sure there are some advantages to new systems, but the PPC based Macs are still good.

Leopard still works on PPC G4 systems. Classic support was dropped. So we will not see it in future versions of the Mac OS.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10.5 is the last operating system that will run on PPC machines.

Everything from now on will be Intel only, there is no support for PPC Macs in Snow Leopard.

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I thought there was support for PPCs? I could have sworn there was.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There isn't. None of the developer builds have supported PPC.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Apple are apparently maintaining Snow Leopard for PPC, but it won't be released. This isn't an indication of anything - Apple likes to keep their software as hardware-agnostic as possible. The Intel version of OSX was being maintained even before Apple decided to switch from PPC.

OSX is currently shipped working on x86, PPC, and ARM (iPhone). There are probably other architectures that Apple have OSX running on, and many of those will never ship. If you read reports that Apple is keeping the PPC code up-to-date with Snow Leopard, don't take that as an indication that SL is coming to PPC - it's just the way Apple do things.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I agree, but could not find a link.

Do you have a link?

11. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

But some of you guys are forgetting one small detail... The Dev seeds of Leopard (10.5.6 for example) are intel only too! so there is some chance of Apple bringing SL to PowerPC (I would say 1.2 GHz G4 and 1GB of ram requirement). But anyway lets just see what apple does with this situation.

ALSO I'm getting a 17" PowerBook soon so apple has to DO something! :mad:

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Classic support was dropped in Leopard. We will not see it in the future, so legacy apps will not run via Classic using Leopard.

Tiger supports Classic on PPC based Macs but not on Intel based Macs.

My understanding is that Snow Leopard will not have PPC code as part of the install. It will be pure Intel based. Leopard will be the last Mac OS that installs and runs on both PPC and Intel based Macs. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to share with you but I am fairly certain that this is true.

Might want to rethink that purchase.

As long as Tiger w/Classic or Leopard w/o Classic will fit your needs then go ahead. However, it you expect Snow Leopard to run on your PowerBook 17, then I would wait to be sure.

13. StuartCH thread starter macrumors member

End Of Topic

Maybe Apple will make 10.5.14 PowerPC only, But still it is up to :apple: to decide.
    END OF TOPIC, MODS IF YOUR READING PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD, I SHOULD OF NEVER HAD POSTED IT. NULL/VOID

14. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

who said you have to upgrade to the latest and greatest version? PPC is dead and will not be revived. it's only normal that support for it would be phased out.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Surely you don't have to upgrade. What's wrong with leaving 10.5 or even 10.4 on a PPC machine?

16. mcnicks macrumors regular

Just because Apple brings out 10.6 does not mean that you have to immediately drop the cash and upgrade, and it definitely does not mean that you have to rush out and buy new hardware. Leopard will continue to run very nicely on PPC hardware for the next few years and, believe it or not, it will continue to run on PPC hardware after Apple stops releasing updates.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

People act like when apple drops a new OS that people must upgrade to it. I know plenty of people running tiger still and they don't need leopard at all.. i myself sometimes feel the need to downgrade to tiger cause i don't really use the full functionality of leopard and i could do with the less laggyness of leopard on my powerbook.

19. Amdahl macrumors 65816

The problem is Apple stops providing security updates. 10.4 will be orphaned as soon as 10.6 ships according to Apple's standard policy. I think a lot less people would have problems if Apple committed to a Microsoft-class support program for security updates.

I personally think the rule (if not the law) should be 5 years of security updates from the last date of sale for any operating system sold at retail.