The Future of the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrishanna21, Sep 2, 2010.

1. chrishanna21 macrumors newbie

What do you think is in store for the iPad?
    We learned about the future of the iPod Touch from the iPhone 4... (facetime, rear camera, retina, etc.)
    Can we learn about the future of the iPad from the iPod refresh?
    What new features are you expecting?
    Are you expecting a 5-7 incher?
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab has two cameras, HDMI, USB, Flash, etc... basically blows the ipad out of the water... i wish apple would add hdmi and usb but knowing them....
    \and when are you expecting a refresh?

2. Appleoholic macrumors member

Thanks, but no thanks. Quality over quantity...

3. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I'm so hooked with iOS that I don't think any other tablet will do for me no matter what the specs are. The iPad is here to stay and at the moment I can't really see another tablet becoming more popular.

I believe the iPad will be refreshed next Spring with a possible smaller version coming in November, in time for the holidays. That's my guess...

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'd expect a gyroscope, dual cameras, and 1 Gb of RAM, along with minor forms changes.

No thoughts either way.

Funny how unreleased products always blow 6 month old Apple products away.

Doubt it. Air Play, Bluetooth, and WiFi (wireless printing) are Apple's answers.

Spring 2011

5. ZGXtreme macrumors regular

ZGXtreme

I can see the Gyro coming for the gaming experience as well as the front cam for use with Facetime. This is in addition to the obvious updates to the ram and capacity as it becomes available.

When it comes down to a rear facing camera, I fail to see the point. I just cannot see using a device of that size as a camera platform. People complain about it's weight and size just reading a webpage, I can only imagine the complaints if they were holding it up and taking photographs.

What it comes down to is it is not in the same arena as the iPhone, iPod touch or their various competitors. It fills a different niche/role and does it well. To tweak it to match other products which really don't fall in the same category would really be a waste of time and kill the product.

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I am expecting a higher res display (but not "retinal"), gyroscope, VGA front facing camera for FaceTime, Rear facing camera for pictures and 720p video (with that would be iMovie - hopefully more feature than the iPhone version), 512mb - 1gb RAM, faster processor for rendering videos, maybe SD card slot, maybe a USB port.

7 inch would be easier to hold for taking videos and pictures.

Flash sucks on android 2.2, more sites will change to HTML5 because they have to "optimise" their flash video anyway. HTML5 cannot completely replace flash - but with video it can.

Two camera's - maybe for iPad 2 - Apple want more money.

USB - Why - there is no file system, Apple may add this but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

HDMI - AirTunes.

The iPad has to look good, wifi streaming/ lightpeak will replace HDMI, USB - you may see it in iPad 4 :D - but by then lightpeak would have started to replace USB.

April 2011

or September 2011

7. chrishanna21 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry guys.... i guess i wasn't really thinking when i posted this.
    usb would require a thicker device and over-the-air file sharing makes usb useless.
    airplay kills hdmi.
    flash is terrible.
    i guess i said the galaxy tab blows it out of the water because of the dual cameras, which the ipad will obviously be getting in the future... a rear camera would be pointless, (maybe good for a 7 incher), but who knows....
    ... what's lightpeak.
    one last thing, will airtunes/airplay stream ANY video on the iOS device to the apple tv, or just itunes content?

8. smithjohnson159 macrumors newbie

I would take the iPad over the Samsung Galaxy any day.

9. Palomonkey71 macrumors newbie

I so agree, and it seems like the past few unreleased things that have been deemed ipad killers have just suddenly disappeared having their whole programs dropped.

10. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

It will probably be an API de elopers can use for their applications. I am hoping I can stream my Air Videos app to an Apple TV. :)

11. Yamcha macrumors 68000

The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks pretty impressive. No secret people are going to be bias considering this is a mac forum :p. A lot people are passing judgment without even having to use the Galaxy Tab, anyway i checked out videos on youtube, it looks really good. The screen I'm assuming is AMOLED just like the Samsung Galaxy smartphone line, I've seen the screen in person its pretty amazing..

And whats more is that it supports flash from what I saw..Now if it this was priced closer to the $250-$300 I know a lot people may consider getting one. The only drawback I can see is the iPad/iPhone clearly have way more applications and games available.. But I mean if the price is right it might be worth a look, $549 for an ipad is still a lot, too much imo.. And anyway the Android OS is one of the better ones out there..

12. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Lightpeak is a technology made by Intel that will replace all of the cables on your computer like: USB, HDMI, firewire etc. It will replace all of the cables so you have one standard cable. A lightpeak port - right now - it too big to be put into an iPad, but technology will improve. Lightpeak is also super fast - it can copy a blu ray movie in 30 seconds (I think from External SSD - to internal SSD)

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't particularly see these as "blowing it out of the water". These are all niceties, but not particularly...critical to the device's usage.

I've yet to ever want USB connectivity in any shape or form. Cameras would be nice for video chat, and I suspect that's coming. HDMI seems like a gimmick for occasional usage- you can get TV out cables for the iPad for the same occasional usage.

Flash won't happen, and I don't miss it. Apple's lack of Flash support has made the web a lot better. I can name multiple web sites I absolutely detested pre-iPhone that have improved greatly from dropping Flash.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

While I have no interest in the Samsung Galaxy (I love the iPad and I don't want to downsize - even if a 7" iPad existed) I have no basis to say it's "bad" or "good". However, the one thing that is puzzling is that it's essentially a large iPhone. Is this going to be available without a phone contract? If not, where's the appeal in having a really big phone? I often forget that I even have my iPhone in my pocket, somehow, with a 7" phone I think I'd always be aware of it - and not in any good sense. So it may well be a fantastic compromise device, but marketing it as a phone may be a bad idea. In any case, we'll see what happens soon enough.

15. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm sorry but that Galaxy Tab looks like a blatent rip off of the design of the iPad/iPhone. Black bezel for the front, iOS-like UI for the home page. Even the rear camera looks like the new iPhone 4 camera.

When all is done, I'd rather have the iPad just for simplicity sake. I had one occasion where a USB port would have been nice, but it's only because we were out in a field drill with no wifi or data service to be found. That was it.

I don't want a camera on my iPad. I would never use it. Ok, I won't say never because if enough of my friends get iPhone 4's or whatever would allow me to video chat with them, I might use a camera on the iPad.

I don't care for flash either. It doesn't make anything on the web better these days. It was cool when it first came out, but it's on it's last leg.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

And every new ereader looks like a Kindle and every new smartphone looks like the (earlier gen) iPhone - after a point, there's only so much you can innovate. The iPad/iPhone/iPod look the way they do for a reason - form does follow function. And because Apple has generally been first, they've led the way for others to follow. So I'm not especially critical of "rip-off" designs.

17. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

This is from engadget
    So it has a dongle just like an iPad. No ports on the tab itself. Except MicroSD

18. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

No AMOLED but a "7-inch WSVGA TFT-LCD color display with 1024-by-600 pixel resolution." Considering the specs, I also doubt that it will be anywhere near as cheap as you hope.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that the more ports you have, like USB and HDMI, the more opportunities for debris to enter you device.

I think one can expect a refresh at the earliest in the second quarter of next year (after Toshiba et al have unleashed their offerings), and that it will have more RAM, a small speed bump, a gyroscope and two cameras. I maintain that a camera on the back is nonsense because one will tire quickly of swinging the iPad around, but it will be included because so many believe that they need it.

19. iThinman macrumors regular

Very frustrating that nobody seems to care or focus on the iPad lack of file management, or more specifically, lack of native file sharing between applications.

I don't care about the hardware bells and whistles of either product if I am forced to work in a vertical environment. I cannot be moving files around all the time and cloud environments are not practical for sensitive data.

Love my jail broken iPad, but really there are only two things that will keep me with the product as competition is released, first is the developer base and second is the battery life.

And frankly, the dev base for the iPad has been slow IMO. However, it may just be waiting for 4.x before sinking it's teeth in.

It remains to be seen what will happen with battery life. Everything cost precise battery life and while it is nice to have all of that connectivity and the likes, such as flash, if it comes in at 6 hours in practical use, that is not going to cut it.

20. chrishanna21 thread starter macrumors newbie

aaaaa

whats from engadget?

21. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

No one is denying that the Galaxy Tab has the right hardware, but by now people should realize success in the mobile market is determined by the software. Apple has the perfect implementation, and slowly making it better. Whatever OS they are using for this, Android, is not stable enough for a tablet. When I had a Google Nexus One, it could barely do the normal tasks. I can't imagine trying to use a tablet version where everything is getting stressed much more than a phone.

I think it has been proven time and time again that mobile flash is so far away from being good. Flash should not even be considered when purchasing a mobile product.

You can share files between applications, it is up to the DEVELOPER to implement that.

A file system is not necessary when the cloud is slowly being perfected. If you are going to be in an area without Internet, make sure you have the documents on your iPad before hand. I have about 5-6 applications that have a file storage of some kind, and 2-3 of them can be transfered between applications or opened in others.

22. Covart Guest

Rear facing camera is a neccessity for augmented reality features (very cool features if you haven't use it before.) Augmented reality is really cool when used as a HUD in the car or when walking around cities you don't live in. This feature will become more mainstream as people become more familiar with its capabilities.

USB port (at least one) is a neccessity if you are not near wi-fi / 3G and want to move files or documents or take additional storage with you. Mini-USB drives are perfect for the iPad or other tablets, but you gotta have a USB port!

Front-facing cameras will be on all new iPad like devices. Video calls/conferencing will be mandated by consumers.

Galaxy tab is nothing impressive and nothing innovative. I'll wait for the iPad 2.

23. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

I have an Ipad and will be selling it, for a Android Tab. Galaxy looks nice, i just want to know what the price is?

Android has all the functionality i need without the boundaries of Ipad. Ipad is a neat device, but Its so closed and with so many work arounds just to get any basic "creatiion" function to work.

Having access to the file system is huge to me. I could care less about camera on the back of a tab, a front one would be cool, but again its not required for me. I would like to be able to use a tablet like a laptop or desktop computer, period.

Ipad doesnt allow me to do that, easily... android has the perfect platform to do that tho.

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

I like it a lot and used it on a recent trip to Europe (Cyclopedia is pretty cool, but has limited content for now). Oh, I used it on a pocketable iPhone. I left my iPad in the hotel (or car). I like to travel unencumbered, and even a 7" tablet seems clunky (as did my pocketable digital camera, compared to my iPhone) to lug around.

25. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Do you even know what your talking about? What do you need a file system for? You can already upload files to the iPad and it's not like your going to run programs from the file system. I have a droid x and never look at the file system. One thing lacking on android is the app support which is a joke. If I were you I would let the dust settle with android tablets and see what kind of support they are going to have because as of now it's a glorified web browser.