The future of the MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BinfordsTool, Jun 12, 2009.

1. BinfordsTool macrumors member

Gizmodo has a great article on the future of the MacBook, why there is only one currently left (a white plastic one at that) while the pro's have been dramatically expanded.

One of the comments I saw suggested maybe Apple is going to "nano-ize" this line, stick with white plastic and add different splashes of color. This is a good entry level mac, I know I used it to get familiar with apple, and it sells very well for colleges... something tells me this may be an easy way to sell a product. That or maybe they'll netbook-ize it too.

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Doubt it.

They'll bring out a $999 MacBook Pro. Scrap the Macbook and reuse the name for another product like a tablet or netbook like device.

3. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Their bringing 799-899$ MacBook's, gonna be 10", 11" or 12", wether they will have a keyboard or not, i don't know, but there is something big coming to the macbooks, something popular...

4. svndmvn Guest

I still have to read the linked article but I hope that's not the Macbook's future, going smaller at that same price point, remaining plastic is simply insulting, I wouldn't expect that from Apple.
    When the 13" MBP will be able to have a discrete graphics chip and/or express card, or something new I suppose we could see the white one replaced with a replaceable battery that lasts around 5Hrs like the current one, maybe still no LED screen and no illuminated KB, still a 9400m or something similar, no FW etc. This would be possible if regular consumers, that are usually buying their first Apple product prefer the unibody design to the white one, which I've currently noticed is usually not the case.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I also feel that something big is going to happen. The "macbook" brand is far to ubiquitous to just scrap it. It's like if they came out with a new product and left the ipod in the dust. the name is just way too recognizable to ditch it.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Gizmodo makes it pretty clear - either a shrunk MBA, or a Tablet, to take the MacBook moniker. I'd imagine we'll know by Snow Leopard release at the latest. If we see iTunes go Multitouch tablet friendly, i'd take that as a sign that the MacBook line will get the Tablet or have something nestled between the MB and the MBP.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I do NOT see a netbook at ALL.

Those ten inch screens Apple was purported to be buying?

MacTablet.

Apple really wants to take their whole line, unify everything, drop the "Pro" and just have different sizes of MacBook, but they can't really do that right now.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

iTunes has gone voice controlled. I'd expect that to transfer over to Macs soon, including the tablet which will be a MacBook. I expect that it will fully deserve the "Book" moniker as it should be a good size for reading books. Sadly, it's the e-ink screen that sets the Kindle apart from any devices that Apple may offer for reading books.

The voice-controlled iTunes is really moving toward the Star Trek model. Hello computer!

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

After the last WWDC keynote, I officially resigned from the Apple Amateur Prognostication Group.

10. BinfordsTool thread starter macrumors member

I officially joined, lol, in my own head I was 100% right on what was going to happen :D

If it was going to be a tablet, I'd expect a different name than MacBook, the book seems to denote a common laptop theme (notebook, netbook, something folded..)

If the "Pro" moniker was dropped and all assumed into the MacBook name I'd expect tablet, this is why I'm guessing a new revamp of a less high powered computer line

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I agree with all of you guys, but I doubt Apple would put its most popular model in the recycle bin in favor of an unproven market (read the tablet market). The only thing I would see Apple doing is dropping the "Pro" nomination...

12. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

the future???, what about now?

the future?....hmmm

well, this is the present - http://www.apple.com/macbook/ ...kinda looks like the past :mad:

I think the future may bring an even cheaper MacBook. Steve Jobs will come back, and tell everyone...."Our hearts our with America, due to the down economy, Apple knows the struggling wallets of the consumer and wanted to be the first company to offer a great new computer(cheaper MacBook) for less money...and by the way, this new consumer product will work on the greatest OS ever built, Snow Leopard" [He will fill the hearts of everyone, and become the man, once again...]

...what a happy ending to the MacBook product line? - a cheaper MacBook...:D

I'm telling you guys, I am not Steve Jobs, but I am CrackBookPro (LOL) :p ......some pretty damn cheap laptop is coming out, and I have no idea what the name may be, but it's coming from Apple...

CrackBookPro:cool:

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Maybe but even your godlike Steve Jobs has to answer to a board of directors.

14. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...I was telling a fairy tale about SJ...relax :cool: and hopefully, the fairy tale will have a happy ending :D

15. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

It's called "MacBook" because it's a "notebook" computer. So why on Earth would "MacBook" be used for a "tablet" computer?

It's really quite obvious what Apple is doing. The MacBook is their entry level model, and I fully expect the price will drop even lower over time. You want something slightly better, you go for the MacBook Pro line, and have a few options there.

All Apple is doing is simplifying their line. One entry model, three models that represent the mid- and high-end and one "special" model.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

<takes remnants of AAPG card out of trash>
    <tapes pieces together, examines>

Okay, there is absolutely no frakkin way that would EVER happen. Period.

<rips AAPG card up again>
    <throws taped, sticky pieces back in trash>

17. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Won't they ditch the white plastic one eventually. They are trying to get there product line up to be environmentally friendly. The plastic one pisses environmentalists off don't they?

18. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

It seems that they're using Mac as the prefix for computers, and "i" as the prefix for "devices"

Mac's
    Mac Pro, Mac mini, MacBook (Pro/Air)

i
    iPhone, iPod, iTV(They totally would have used this name if they could have)

iMac is an exception, I dont think they'll change that since its such a recognizeable name.

That being said, the tablet is a Mac, but is also a device. iTablet or iSomethingElse would be my guess. Maybe iMac Tablet, since the iMac is an all in one with a simple design, and a tablet would be an all in one with a simple design as well.

19. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I believe they'd dropped the price of the base 13in pro below $1000 before they kicked the white macbook to the curb.

20. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Does that "special" model happen to be:
    [​IMG]
    :D