The Future of the Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macgeek77, Jun 25, 2009.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

After WWDC, we have seen the release of some amazing new machines. I have a feeling that because the Macbook line only consists of the previous generation Macbook, this might set the stage for a different kind of laptop. Perhaps we will see a lower-cost laptop (netbook style) or even a tablet. Here are my reasons:

1) Something as major as the Macbook line will obviously not "disappear." Because the previous Macbooks are now Macbook Pros, something will need to fill that line.

2) Many of the Apple notebooks seem to be reduced in price. Because the 'Pros are the more "professional" level computers, I think the "consumer" level computers (i.e. Macbooks) will be even lower in price.

Please share your opinions!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Something will not need to fill it at all. The "MacBook" will be dropped and the entire line will become "MacBook" computers.

2. Not a chance.

3. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

Doubt it, there will continue to be a MacBook =) Just in a different form of the one we know...

4. MedHead macrumors regular

I doubt the tablet would be branded macbook, as presumably it wouldnt be "book shaped" being a tablet and all! :p

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

So we go from macbooks to pro and then back to macbooks again?

Ayeeeeeee don't think so.

6. drewster macrumors member

Agreed --
    Leaves room for cheaper price points for lower end computers, and leaves the existing line in the premium market space.

Perhaps opens to something newer. inetbook? Wishful thinking, the form factor will reimagined, some clever tricks will be used to differentiate, ie. iphone like OS, as to not fully compete with the regular laptops. Apple likes incremental product line steps as to lure upselling...

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't see the current MacBook going anywhere for a while.

8. okatidubi macrumors regular

Like what I've said on an another thread, unless the economy gets better, the white MacBook ain't going anywhere. Students and people who just want to type some documents, surf the web, listen to some music, view photos etc. wants a cheap full featured laptop, not a tablet. The white MacBook fits into that category.

However, I also do believe that Apple is working on a tablet, but it will not be released as soon as people expect it to be (Early '10 for example). It's still too early to tell if the economy will get better by then though.

PS. A tablet device does not deserve the name "MacBook" at all. It just doesn't sound... right.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

10. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I would be surprised if that were to happen...I think the intention is to go full blown aluminum...

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just thought everyone should know TS's recent track record saying things like "Not a chance."

and...

and...

and...

and...

12. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

they're gonna make a 15 inch plastic macbook (available in black or white), a 10 inch plastic macbook, and a special monitor designed for the new line of macbooks. Did i mention they're gonna bring back the black.

13. excommie macrumors regular

Isn't the white macbook one of their best selling machines? They might change the look of it, but there will be a plastic macbook. Also, even though the design of the whitebook is 3 years old, it still looks good. Also, take a look at how quickly the black macbooks are selling out in the refurb store (at an outraging price of $999). They'd be nuts not to take advantage of the sub $1000 market. IMO, they'll introduce more plastic models soon.

14. MedHead macrumors regular

Ya Id agree that the black macbooks seem to really be holding their value as they really were so unique. Had one still been available when I bought my UMB it would have tempted me. Imagine a slightly thinner blackbook with the same specs as the new 13" UMBP...would be amazing. It'd be great if the new trackpad got brought to the plastic macbook line but I guess the idea of a glass trackpad in a plastic macbook is a bit odd! :p

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I was too polite to point that out, but it was time someone did :)