The future (or not) of mavericks.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tywebb13, May 8, 2014.

1. tywebb13, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014

tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Will mavericks continue to be available on the mac app store when 10.10 is released?

When mountain lion was released, lion disappeared from the mac app store - but you could still buy a redemption code from apple's website for lion and still get it that way if you needed to.

The same thing happened to mountain lion when mavericks was released.

Will the same thing happen to mavericks when 10.10 is released?

But it is different this time. Mavericks is free. How can we "buy" something for $0?

If apple are going to continue to allow mavericks to be downloaded after 10.10 is released, they should do it some other way, perhaps keep it on the mac app store along side 10.10 and not just let it suddenly disappear like it did for lion and mountain lion. That's my suggestion, but apple might have other ideas.

I am worried that it won't be available at all.

2. meme1255 macrumors 6502

$0 is price, too... Thefore, it should be possible to generate 10.9 redeeem codes :)

3. tywebb13, May 8, 2014

tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes. It's technically possible to do it that way, but it would be rather silly to be "selling" something from apple's online store for $0.

Why not just simply continue allowing it to be available directly from the mac app store without redemption codes?

When the price is $0, that does change things.

4. Planey28 macrumors 6502

A lot of people will get confused and not know which OS X version is the latest.

5. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes. Well I know that apple made lion and mountain lion disappear from the mac app store when the next version was available to encourage more people to get onto the newer version.

But many people had to also get those after they disappeared. Thankfully apple have a way of doing that now for lion and mountain lion (you buy redemption codes from their online store). But the same method would not make sense for mavericks because mavericks is free.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

They could always change the name to Mavericks Classic, then sell it as an antique for $0.99.
    Folks'll be willing to pay for the retro-look.

7. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Both Lion and Mountain Lion are available for download in my list of purchases in the App Store. I just clicked on the Lion download and it started.

Attached Files:

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

When 10.10 is released, 10.9 will no longer be available to "purchase" in the Mac App Store. However, if you already "purchased" it, it will still show up in your list of purchased items. I still have both Lion and Mountain Lion listed in my purchases.

9. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68000

And what if you never got it before? Then it won't be in purchases tab.

How would you get it then?

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Can you go to the App store now and "purchase" it? (I don't know if you can since I have older Macs and have purchased it on them.) If so, you can download the install and just put it somewhere for safe keeping or make an install USB Flash drive.

You can always use Internet recovery, which downloads the Macs original OS and installs it. There are ways to stop the install at a critical point and save the download before the install actually occurs.

A third possibility, if you know someone with an older Mac, is to have them download the installer and make a install USB Flash drive.

11. tywebb13, May 8, 2014

tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes. You can get it at the mac app store now.

But how would you get it later when 10.10 is released?

Apple will probably make it disappear from the mac app store when 10.10 is released.

If you haven't previously got it from the mac app store it will not show up in the purchases tab either.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

So go ahead and get it now. Then it will be a "purchase" you could always download in the future.

13. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I've already got it.

But what about other people who decide some time after 10.10 is released that they want to get mavericks (and never got it before)? How are they going to get it if it has been deleted from the mac app store?

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

OS X Internet recovery will install whatever OS was original on their Mac. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718 Anyone whose Mac came with Mountain Lion or Lion needs to "purchase" Mavericks before 10.10 comes out.