The G-SPEED Studio XL looks like what the nMP should have been

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ehh, ugly.

I'm glad the nMP is not looking like that.

3. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I doubt if the nMP hadn't come out, the G-SPEED wouldn't have kept with the aluminum look; they're designed to fit alongside Apple products.

Kind of reminds me of a less garish Alienware PC.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

So... You were hoping for the Mac Pro to become a giant raid-array storage device? Are we talking aesthetics or functionality here?

5. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

He's pretty clearly talking about aesthetics in context, but yes, his post is a bit unclear.

6. shaunp macrumors 65816

I too wanted Apple to produce a machine with more internal storage options, especially loads of 2.5" drive bays, but they shifted the problem of storage external. It makes for a more expensive solution, but it does enable me to put my storage in another room making my working area quieter, and cooler.

7. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

8. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Typical answer…don't see how it's any better / worse looking that what Apple gave us other than this would give us room for more drives and PCI slots.

Anyway, clearly I was talking about form factor, maybe I give MR users too much credit in thinking they would know I didn't want the MacPro to literally be a drive tower…

Given the nMP's design direction, this just seems like something they might go with if they kept a more traditional form factor. Swap out the plastic for aluminim and slap an Apple logo on it and it woulda been pretty sweet!

9. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Because, the nMP isn't about stuffing more internals in. The fact that people can't seem to understand this is funny to me. It's about leveraging the future and making the device expandable without ever having to open the device.

10. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

People understand it just fine, they just disagree with the choices made and the huge tradeoffs they force.

11. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Then, I guess the nMP isn't the system for them.

12. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I kind of have to agree here. When I get ready to move to that platform, probably in version 3 or later, I will have a clear game plan in how to leverage the required equipment and what layout options it will afford me. I also plan to be very creative in how it all looks when installed.

I understand needs and wants of others will vary...

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Nah, I think the nMP looks nicer. Unless you mean internal storage, in which case I agree with you.

Interesting choice of words. I don't see how removing an internal choice enables your external storage in a different room. The cMP also enables you to have external storage in a different room, but you also had a choice of internal storage as well, for when network storage might be inappropriate.

I'd argue that the nMP forces, not enables, people to use external storage.

There are positives of course. The nMP is smaller, silent, and looks nice. I can see why many people would prioritize that over lower cost, greater flexibility, and greater upgradability, but it's certainly not what I would have chosen for a new MP.

Honestly when I look at the nMP all I see is an exceptionally powerful and beautiful Mac Mini.

Yep!

14. shaunp macrumors 65816

I agree, it does force you to have the storage external. But for my use I was struggling with internal storage on a PC with 8 drives. Moving the storage to an external array works better for me. It's not for everyone and I think Apple should have made a model in a tower case too for those who want internal expansion.