The G5 returns.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stewart1981, Feb 15, 2016.

1. stewart1981 macrumors member

After 6 months in storage my 1.6ghz machine gas returned to life as my office back up machine and jukebox. The newest tenfourfox, tweaked of course, handles youtube fine for my needs. Itunes also does what it is supposed to and overall it is remarkably snappy on the office WiFi.

I now need to spruce it up a little. Maybe swap to Libreoffice from MS2008 and update the theme to a more modern mac one but it is a delight to see it open again. Any other ideas?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Turn off Spotlight and Dashboard. Those alone help by a good margin and I typically don't leave them going unless I have a dual processor of some sort.

3. stewart1981 thread starter macrumors member

I've turned off Dashboard but I do use Spotlight so reluctantly have left it on. I've probably done most of the tweaks listed in the speed guide and of course it is the slowest G5 so it will only get do far. I suppose an SSD would help but as a backup machine I can't justify that at present in my business when I could use the money on other things.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you use Spotlight to search a lot or as an app launcher, there are a couple of work arounds. I use EasyFind which does the same as a normal full search but is better I think and Quicksilver is a great app launcher.

Just two suggestions.

5. stewart1981 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks will try EasyFind, I use it for file searching.

This community feel is why I missed using this machine. If my boss would upgrade from Pagemaker to InDesign I could do all my main work on it!

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh, my God, I feel for you!!!!

You can't believe how hard it was to get everyone off PageWrecker here where I'm at. I got hired in 2004 and it took us over two years on the Editorial side.

We (Composing) didn't convert from QuarkXPress to InDesign until around 2011 or so. Even then we're stuck on CS4 because my coworker uses a G5.

I was fortunate to work things so we were entirely Mac within a few months of my hire, but editorial is still PC. They send us EPS files of their pages and I drop them into our newspaper document as full size pages. That way we avoid font issues because of PC/Mac. Editorial is using CS2!!!

7. stewart1981 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers! I don't mind PM7 on Windows 10, it works pretty well and despite the age is solid. I also know my way around it but it is the main problem that makes us stay on Windows. If they swapped to InDesign my mac would do everything needed on CS2 or 3 with Sibelius 7 on Windows for the typesetting. Sibelius 6 would do it on the G5 but we need to stay current and I bowed in to pressure to have a Dell optiples to convert Sibelius 8 files down. However to get the whole publishing side over to mac is just beyond the budget in terms of hardware and software.

I work with EPS on a daily basis and it works best that way as no one can fiddle with the music fonts and we ensure everyone uses the same format but I would be happier on a Mac for the publishing side, it just feels smoother!