The Galaxy S4 is dead on Arrival

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by bruceleroy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bruceleroy macrumors member

bruceleroy

Lol at samsung thinking that they have enough of a dedicated fanbase to introduce an incremental upgrade after all of the hype. Everyone that I know that has a galaxy s3 would switch to another android phone in a heartbeat. Ball is in Apple's court now.

2. rovex macrumors 65816

Incremental in what sense of the word? The bump in specs makes the iphone 5 look like a 4SS in comparison.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

What did you want the phone to do? It has an improved camera, an improved screen, an improved processor, and is overall better.

I just don't get what people expect the next phones to do.

4. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

In my opinion the ball is now up to another company as Apple will most likely not amaze anyone with the 5S. Even though I would be upset since I'm tied in to a contract It would be nice to see a killer nexus device swoop in.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

And what do you think Apple is going to offer in their next iPhone--another incremental update!! I'll wager anything you'd like that the S4 offers more over the S3 than the next iPhone does over the 5.

The S4 doesn't offer enough to make me move from my Note 2 but millions of iPhone 4 users said the same thing when the iPhone 4S was introduced (and quite a few said the same thing when the 5 was released :eek:). Doesn't mean there aren't millions more who will find the S4 a worthy upgrade.

6. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Excuse me? the iphone 5 doubled CPU and GPU performance,better battery life,new design,LTE.

the S4 did the same and maintained the design,where is all the rage that it doesn't have a new design so they're not innovating? the S3 had a good design so they kept it,same as Apple,besides the screen and camera,everything else is an incremental update from the S3.

7. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

That's quite a statement since several of the new features alone would get tons of stage-time and focus for each and every one if Apple had made similar 'upgrades' to the iPhone.

8. MRU, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Slimmer, lighter

5" 1080p screen

Improved CPU's

2Gb Ram

13mp camera

Upto 64gb storage

Wireless charging

A slew of new software features.

Whilst it may aesthetically share similarity or 'brand' with the SGS3 it certainly is more than just a little bump hardware wise.

Also I suspect the SGS4 isn't aimed squarely at SGS3 users current (as many of those will be on contracts for another 12-24 months), but potential new customers who are now offered an even more powerful but lighter & slimmer Samsung Galaxy.

It's exactly the same as what Apple will be doing with the iPhone 5S. It will be aimed at 4/4S user who are coming to the end of their contracts rather than iPhone 5 users.

Both phones will sell like hot cakes this year regardless.

I won't be getting the SGS4, but I can see its a top phone regardless. Don't let brand loyalty stop you from being objective and seeing there are more people in the world than just you and your subjective opinions...

9. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

And it still works just as good

10. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

So the S4 with a larger screen, bigger battery, thinner frame, brand new screen technology is not much different than the S3 ? Uh, OK.

But the iPhone 5S will be what over the iPhone 5 ? LOL the 5S will be identical style, same screen, same shape and size. Just a spec bump inside. Talk about a joke.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Let's face it, we can all pretty much guess the specs of the 5S. I think the S4 looks nice, and it has features I did not see coming at all. And for me, the camera and screen were the worst things about the S3, and the S4 solves both those issues.

12. bruceleroy thread starter macrumors member

bruceleroy

Difference is like it or not apple has a dedicated fan base that will buy the updated phone no matter what. Samsung doesn't have that same luxury yet so I think they will see a big drop in sales.

13. rovex, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

rovex macrumors 65816

The battery life looks set to be vastly improved all while making the phone thinner and you're asking for a redesign well your priorities certainly differ from mine.

My iphone 4's battery life is better than the 5 so hardly an improvement in fact a step backwards.

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

Incremental like the 4 to the 4s

or

Incremental like the 5 will be to the 5s?

This was a big change, bigger better screen but smaller and lighter. Quad and Octa- core frmo Dual/Quad. 2 GB of ram from 1 GB. Way improved and new services and software functions, amzing new camera and camera tech.

So, compared to the 5 from the 4s it is no more incremental than that was. The 5 was bigger, thinner, lighter, a better processor, camera and lol panarama and a better screen with the same old same old OS features as before.

The S4 is exactly what it needed to be.

15. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Just my opinion, I don't find any of the new features any more than a gimmick.

16. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

Samsung is doing its damn thing right now. I see a day very soon where they split from being android powered and handle everything themselves. Their user base is growing and their feature set is formidable. Samsung is currently the innovator and driver the market now. All that said I'm sticking with iPhone.

17. hayesk macrumors 65816

Speaking of the iPhone, these are the same comparisons Android fanboys used to describe the iPhone 5 as "not much different" from the 4S.

18. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

Yea um... the GS4 DESTROYS the iPhone 5.

And most likely the iPhone 5S too.

By time we see the iPhone 6, Samsung will already be working on the GS5.

19. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

New phone = more new users switching from other platforms. Android phone sales had doubled or tripled from 2010, and most of the buyers are new users.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

While I won't be getting the S4 (Samsung has never been my cup of tea), they will certainly sell millions of these because they actually due have an apple like following and this phone checks a lot of boxes, plus the marketing is going to be insane. Saying its DOA is ridiculous.

21. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

The Nexus 4 has taken me beyond the iOS vs. Android paradigm. Whatever the best GSM unlocked phone is, is the phone for me. But, yeah, I think they just ate Apple's lunch with the GS4 in light of Schiller's comments yesterday.

22. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

the iphone 5 did not double the CPU, only GPU.

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think this comparison picture belongs here.

Note the change in screen size, resolution, significantly larger battery size, thinness (no Apple S phone ever got thinner nor offered a larger battery), the addition of an IR blaster, less weight (no Apple S phone ever got lighter), different dimensions (again, no Apple S phone ever was sized differently), new colors, and etc.

Note also the whopping jump up in higher PPI. Not even the iPhone 4S-to-5 improved the PPI count.

[​IMG]

24. EstaVidaLoca macrumors regular

All things that Android phones already had and it didn't take 2 years to implement the changes.