Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
So, does my Apple Watch assume i'm being super active when I'm playing the piano and my hands are flying back and forth? What about when I do the dishes? I'm just wondering if it is intelligent enough to know the difference between that and actual workout sessions, and if the calorie count therefore is not correct. Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's been ages since I played the piano, so I don't know how the watch would count calories for playing the piano. For washing dishes, it does add some calories, but it seems to me to be about the right amount of calories for that level of activity. I'd love to hear how much calories the watch thinks someone uses for playing the piano, but if you play vigorously, I would think you spend as much energy as at least a light workout.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I am afraid the Apple Watch has no idea what we are doing. I collect steps while riding on my Toro or even boating offshore!

I will not tell if you don't tell!:p
Oh my god, is that why it gave me so many steps today when I bicycled to work?
It makes me question the whole fitness app.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am afraid the Apple Watch has no idea what we are doing. I collect steps while riding on my Toro or even boating offshore!

Oh my god, is that why it gave me so many steps today when I bicycled to work?
It makes me question the whole fitness app.

What's a Toro, is that a bike?

And is it so bad that it counts steps while you are biking? You ARE moving your legs. Not sure about boating. Were you rowing?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA

And is it so bad that it counts steps while you are biking? You ARE moving your legs. Not sure about boating. Were you rowing?

Toro = Lawn tractor

I get 4X as many calories burned while riding my mower than going for a brisk walk of the same minutes. I figure it is all the vibration from the steering wheel.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Yep Toro is a diesel lawn tractor.

Boat is Grady Express 37 my pride and joy. You do a good bit of walking on it so some is legit but I see bonus steps while just sitting in the "chair".

maconut

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
USA
Relaxing and knitting racks up thousands of steps for me. It doesn't count as exercise (it shouldn't) nor does it particularly raise my calorie count, because the heart rate is taken into account.

I'm not fooling anyone, especially not myself. I understand why the number is not what it should be, and act accordingly. Just making note that the sensors as currently implemented can only do so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.