the goal posts are about to be moved.......again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pieseller, May 13, 2008.

1. pieseller macrumors member

apple moved the goal posts for whats the cutting edge on mobile phones when the iphone came out. now that other manufacturers are slowly catching up, surely apple are going to do it again with the iphone mk2?

what could be done to make us go wow this time? things like GPS and 3G are not going to be big surprises, whats the feature/function we havent thought of yet to really up the ante.

2. jontucker macrumors 6502

One thing that I would love is to be able to play tunes directly to airport express remote speakers from my iPhone. That's just software though so could be implemented on the current version.

I think just general tweaks here and there, MMS, Video camera, maybe a mobile version of Finder, being able to use it as a portable disk (i know this can be done, buts it's not all that easy to get working) and more I'm sure would make the iPhone even more incredible than it is already.

There, I said all that without mentioning 3g or GPS! Oh bugger.....

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm not saying that there won't be any surprises, but don't expect any big surprises: there probably won't be any. Apple has their work cut out for them just giving us the things we expect. I don't think we'll see anything really new and original with the iPhone until next year.

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

first of all, apple only moved the goal posts in regards to UI and touch screen. when it comes to cell phone features, apple is the one that is slowly catching their device up to speed with the 3G iphone.

to the 2nd part of your comment, i dont think there is a mystery feature that is going to wow us. the "wow" i think will come int he form of applications once the new firmware is released.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

not a wow feature

6. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Not a "wow... that's a cool new unique feature I've never seen before", but after a year a lot of people will be saying "wow... finally" :)

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

hahah true. another wow feature - making the headset jack flush with the surface so you can use all headphones. :D

8. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

I'd like to be able to download podcasts directly to my iPhone.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

In my opinion we are indeed going to see something ground breaking on the new iPhone.

10. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards the opposite.
    My speculation (and opinion) is when the announcement comes June 9, it will simply be a 3g version of the current iPhone.

No front camera,
    No GPS
    No 32GB version.

I would love to be wrong, however my opinion stands until proven wrong.

11. ViPa macrumors 6502a

my guess is that there will be AT LEAST one wow feature..along with the features we expect, 3G, stereo bluetooth, mms, video, gps

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

As a side note, I read that as iPhone Mark 2 :p
    Don't know why people started referring to them as "Generations." Confusing with the GB capacity and now with cell radios! I say we should start calling the current iPhone Mark 1 and the 3G iPhone Mark 2.
    :p

13. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I do this currently with an app called Signal. I installed Signal onto my PC and then simply visit the addy Signal supplies on the iPhone in safari. Works like a charm. Has cover art abd everything. The only thing it doesnt have is cover flow, now that would be sweet.

By the way, hi all, love the forums. I had to join so I can keep up with all the rumors about V2. I cant wait.

14. chrisparr macrumors regular

Slow down a bit. The iPhone's GUI may be cutting edge, but the rest of it is behind the times.

I just hope the next version pushes things a bit, but I feel the release will do no more than bring the iPhone in line with other offerings. That said, I'm quite happy to be proven wrong :)

C