The good old days of Windows

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Notice they have a Classic Mac shoved in the corner. I reckon they used that as a standard to copy the OS from. Nice smile Bill...NOT!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I think this image has been posted on macrumors some time ago. too bad macrumors doesn't have an image search

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
fayans said:
I read it somewhere that said in the early days, both Windows & Macintosh did copy from Xerox.
Apple based their UI loosely on the designs from Xerox Parc. Its said that Apple had the GUI well under way when they visited Xerox. That may be true but I believe that they weren’t influenced by that trip as far as I can throw Apple’s campus. If nothing else the mouse certainly came from them though. And Microsoft in turn jacked it from Apple in a more direct, and blatantly obvious, manner.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
SiliconAddict said:
Yah I posted it. Along with....

Kinda wants to make you gag doesn't it? :D
I don't understand what Bill or the photographer was trying to accomplish with these photos? Maybe with an explanation and a bit of context, we could laugh even harder. :p

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
rossoUK said:
Notice they have a Classic Mac shoved in the corner. I reckon they used that as a standard to copy the OS from. Nice smile Bill...NOT!

I like how small the Macintosh looks next to that old IBM.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No matter how many times it's posted, I can never get enough of those pics of that sexy beast. Yum.

*** runs off, retching ***

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Onizuka said:
That guy has ALWAYS looked like a lame-ass, hasn't he? Even when the style was shaggy hair and sweaters, he looked like someone who got the **** kicked out of him every day.
Not to sound very offensive, but most programmers I've known always look messy & shagged somehow and yet they are technically-genius. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I hate these old pictures of Gates...he's sitting there taunting me.

BG: "Ha, see how stupid I look - and yet I still made billions by stealing other people's good ideas!"

Karma, Bill. Karma. You just wait.

SiliconAddict said:
Apple based their UI loosely on the designs from Xerox Parc. Its said that Apple had the GUI well under way when they visited Xerox. That may be true but I believe that they weren’t influenced by that trip as far as I can throw Apple’s campus. If nothing else the mouse certainly came from them though. And Microsoft in turn jacked it from Apple in a more direct, and blatantly obvious, manner.

According to Steve Wozniak:

Steve Jobs made the case to Xerox PARC execs directly that they had great technology but that Apple knew how to make it affordable enough to change the world. This was very open. In the end, Xerox got a large block of Apple stock for sharing the technology. That's not stealing outright.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
We can joke about the old days comparing out hairstyles to them, but not they groom themselves much better now.

Plus it's probably time to compare your homes to theirs, and laugh. ;) :D

The Bill Gates home ....

Paul Allen ....

Steve Ballmer ....

Michael Dell ....

Larry Ellison ....