The good Ship Venus

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cell-666, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Sitting up terrible insomnia and you tend to do various things to kill time. The more boring the better lol. So I was looking through the live ship traffic passing through the Panama Canal and just happened on the Jobs families luxury yacht going through the canal.

Pleasant surprise and what were the chance :) still, after looking through more photograph of her she certainly is one beautiful boat.

Attached Files:

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This very topic materialises every few weeks on these fora - in fact, a thread had already mentioned spotting that particular yacht earlier this year.

Now, I understand the admiration (which sometimes segues into adulation) in which the late Mr Jobs was held - especially by members of a forum dedicated to the discussion of all things Apple.

As someone who uses and greatly likes (my colleagues would dispute that verb, and substitute something stronger) Apple computers and other products, I even share the widespread admiration for Mr Jobs as a visionary and transformative influence in the field of modern technology, where excellent design allows for that fabulous fusion of form and function which is what happens when you get it right.

Now, to the yacht. I don't much care that it is supposed to have been designed by Phillippe Starck, or commissioned and owned (if never sailed by) the late Steve Jobs: Personally, I think it is actually quite ugly, a cold, clinical, over-engineered, disproportionate vessel, with an unattractive appearance. If it was conceived as a project to give Mr Jobs a reason to fight for life, good luck to him; however, I see it as a rare lapse in taste on the part of a terminally ill man.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Agree completely with your evaluation of both the boat, and the somewhat frightening adulation of the man.

Hero worship is a frightening willingness to ignore the the weaknesses, as well as acknowledging the strengths, of an individual...both of which are what makes one human.

As for the fascination with his boat (a vessel of aesthetic misery, IMO), it smacks of the adulation of religious relics. It's just a big, overblown, and unattractive (IMO) boat. The fascination with it is...ah...strange and a bit unsettling.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post, Shrink, and well, yes, not for the first or second time, I find myself in compete agreement with you.

I have read the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs (written apparently, at the request of the latter).

As a student and teacher of history, I have long been fascinated by the influence of transformative technology on countries, economies, regimes, societies, and on their political development [or not, as the case may be].

Indeed, once upon a distant time, I used to teach Renaissance & Reformation history, and certainly, without the revolutionary impact & influence of the printing press, and the concomitant invention of paper (which eventually supplanted parchment), I doubt the Reformation (let alone the Renaissance) would have had quite the utterly transformative effect it had (by which I mean stuff such as increased literacy and access to printed materials, which meant access to sources, ideas, information, theology, in one's native language, - which meant the development of written vernaculars across Europe - all unmediated by (but still contested by) a powerful and literate clergy.

Likewise, the Industrial Revolution (and American & French [political] revolutions), transformed - utterly transformed - the politics, economics and society of a later era.

In recent decades, within my life, I have seen borders changed - even within Europe - cast iron realities crumble, and yet another technological revolution, that of networked computing, personal computers, and more recently still, the world of social networking; and, of course, it goes without saying that these changes are certainly on a par, historically, with the invention of the printing press, or steam aided coal-fired mass production employing thousands.

Mr Jobs was one of those who spotted this, identified it before it happened, and enabled the invention of not just technologically adept forms of equipment which could harness this change, but aesthetically pleasing ones, as well. So, salutations are indeed in order.

However, the adulation accorded to the late Mr Jobs is something that I find somewhat unsettling. On some of these threads, he seems to be the recipient (something he actively encouraged throughout his life, not a trait I view with approval) of much uncritical adulation, accompanied sometimes by the sort of willing suspension of critical faculties that one stumbles over in cults, or religions, where it metamorphoses into a sort of fervency and intensity of wild belief in The Founder, along with an unwillingness to admit that a genius may not just be somewhat flawed as a person, but may be actually profoundly and insufferably obnoxious in the human condition.

To sum up: I respect and admire Mr Jobs, as a man who played a transformational role in our world, deplore the uncritical - almost religious fervour in which he seems to be held - dislike the man as a human being, and utterly detest that awful yacht which represents an astonishing lapse in taste.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

A fine example of the nail's head being swiftly pounded by Scepticalscribe's hammer.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

The fascination is understandable, in the same way people find train wrecks fascinating.