The GPS is so accurate, it's a little creepy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ntombi, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I know it's not working perfectly for everyone, and I'm not discounting that, so maybe I'm lucky, or just always in places that are ideal for the satellites, but I just took this from inside my apartment, and it actually shows where in my building I'm sitting.

[​IMG]

And here's me walking to the porch...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't know why I'm fine with it for a standalone GPS (i.e. a driving device), but I find it a bit unnerving for a phone, but there you go.

2. apheonixboy macrumors member

apheonixboy

ummm... thats the point of GPS... it tells you "exactly" where you are.... :D

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is because it is not pure GPS, but GPS-A so not only does it use the satellites, but cell towers and local wi-fi spots, that is why it is so accurate.

TEG

4. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Haha.. I found it a little creepy when it found me sitting underneath a tree in my backyard. ;)

5. profetto macrumors regular

6. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that I can run around inside my house and watch that little dot move back and forth. I'm not sure why I find that cool, but I do.

7. profetto macrumors regular

Mine shows me sitting on my driveway, but I'm in my house. Although not bad considering I'm only maybe 20-30 ft from my driveway where I am in my house.

EDIT: Okay, after I typed my post the little blue dot moved directly where I was in my house! Its like a ghost following me!!! lol

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Reading this thread I just had an idea that is so great it could make me a
    billionaire. Hmmmm.

9. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I know, I know. :eek:

I don't know why this has me thinking of Minority Report, but it really does. I keep expecting it to start talking to me, telling me I want to buy Life Cereal when I'm in the cereal aisle of the grocery store...

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Very awesome - I love it when things work great.

My office building is too tall and "thick" for GPS to work really well ... but I've been walking down the street, and that blue dot could not be any more accurate!

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It sounds like you got a pretty lucky device, or area, as it seems that many are not finding it to be all that accurate. I just wish that it would list my general area correctly on the iPod touch. Granted I think that it was the problem of the company that took the wifi signals, because at home I am about 1,000 feet outside of the circle, but at school the circle is much larger (probably because our school's wifi is bounced off of about 100 difference routers over the 44 acre campus), but I am at the dead center of the circle, which is pretty accurate.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I work at night so I have been using the GPS maps to see exactly where I am on certain properties so I know what is near me in the dark. Works very well. This is the biggest advantage over using a Garmin GPS.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

That blue dot is so the Black Helicopters know where to land when they come for you.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Will this iPhone myth never die?

Neither WiFi nor Google tower id are part of A-GPS.

A-GPS is about giving the GPS device assistance on what satellites to look for (almanac), and their orbits (ephemeris), so it doesn't have to waste time downloading that info from the satellites themselves over several minutes.

When GPS can't get a good lock, THAT'S when things can fall back on tower locating or wifi methods. Which is NOT A-GPS, but is called a Hybrid System.

15. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Nevermind. When I posted I couldn't get a location at my job but once I left it picked me up and followed me home. :)

16. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Bingo. Thanks for saving me the time to type this.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow. You're shocked that it works as advertised and now think it will start scanning your retinas?