The GPS-powered friend finder app -what about it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stofferdk, Jul 1, 2008.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Hey there,

Double checked with the search engine for previous posts about this app. Google diddnt help me much, so I wondered if you guys could enlighten me on this app.

What I have heard, which might just be rumours, mind you:

- GPS powered app, when turned on, all invited to your friendlist can see you as a dot mathcing your own on their iphone map.

- Realtime tracking. To people revealing their dot to each other could be walking towards each other watching the progress realtime on the map.

Is this app even in development, or is someone BS'ing me? Could be so cool if this would actually work.

Thank you

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It was demoed at WWDC. Not a new idea in itself (I was running something very like it on the N95 ages ago, and even TomTom have something similar for cars) but it's likely to be far more widely used on the iphone than previous programs as it'll be a free download on the appstore.

Edit: see http://news.cnet.com/8301-13515_3-9963268-26.html

3. sara123456 macrumors member

i am sure they could do this but I can't see it ever happening people would use it to spy on people and we don't want that now do we.

4. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

I never did see the full show -

anyway.

Usually I am up to date with these things, but this is insanely cool.

Thank you for the fast answer.

5. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

I am sure the app will require you to turn it on in every instance you use it. No worries about your girl looking down on your every move ;)

6. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I wish I had this at work

...someone's not where they're supposed to be :eek:

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

If the OP is talking about the application Loopt, that will indeed be released for free with the release of the App store on July 11.

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The big caveat I missed the first time I saw this is it's carrier dependent and currently US only. It seems they use SMS to communicate rather than mobile data, which restricts it somewhat.

9. sara123456 macrumors member

You mean my man :D its a cool idea but you no some people I am sure they would try and use it for the wrong reasons. I would love it if I could track my phone as I always seem to loses them.

10. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

If it will not be available for european customers, I am going to be very, very dissapointed. Possiblt _the_ most both useful and also cool app avail.

Just think of the use when out when lolling about late in the city trying to find your bloody drunk friends... going to love that app. LOVE IT

11. The General macrumors 601

What I don't understand:

How does it know where everyone else is unless everyone else is constantly opening up Loopt every time they move?

12. sara123456 macrumors member

I just watched the Cnet video and it looks really good I can see it having a lot of use with Business with tracking people and vehicle etc and its free so you can't go wrong.

13. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

If I understand the applications purpose correctly, the idea is one or more users must mutually know when to use the app.

For instance, if you are running around trying to find your mate - call him and tell him to turn the app on, so do you, and you find each other.

This is for one thing done so no one can see others location without them knowing (without them actively turning on the app).

14. aerospace macrumors 6502a

seems easier to simply ask them where they are i you have to call them lol

Mary: Where are you?
    Paul: At the mall.

Mary: Please turn on loopt.
    Paul: ok (turns on loopt service)
    Mary: (turns on loopt service/locates paul/checks google to find out what's at 34 N 68 W/ oh its the mall lmao)

15. The General macrumors 601

Ah! That makes MUCH more sense! That would be wayyyyy less stalker status too. :p

I wonder if Loopt will do real time GPS tracking of you and your friends? That would be freaking awesome!! Ah! I just can't wait.

16. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Thats cute, what if you are both tipsy? What is you like me in Copenhagen, Denmark is not always familiar with the places my friends are at the given moment?