The GPS slide/stutter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshd, Jul 16, 2008.

1. joshd macrumors newbie

Using Google map with GPS on my new 3G and finding that even when the GPS seems to be pretty precise (blue dot with a small blue halo) it seems to not move smoothly with me as I walk.

Instead, it finds my location and then updates every 10 seconds or so by sliding to my new location.

Anyone else seeing this? Any fixes? Any 3rd party apps that work normally? Why doesn't it track smoothly?

2. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

works great for me @ <20 mph. over that and it lags up to 20 meters behind but catches up at a stop light instantly.

i mainly use it for garage sales. when driving in neighborhoods at 25 mph looking for a sale, it is almost spot on.

3. joshd thread starter macrumors newbie

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

No you are not. I noticed that too. Its not a big deal, mine is like every half second.

5. bozs13 macrumors regular

when I have it sitting on the passenger's seat it does that but as soon as I hold it out under the windshield...it works very smoothly

6. joshd thread starter macrumors newbie

according to apple phone support because the iphone also uses wifi and cellular triangulation it can cause a slowdown in the refresh rate of the gps.

can anyone back this up?

if so, why would they use these other sources once the gps has a lock?!

and what's more, there are no options to turn off wifi/cellular and just use the gps once there's a fix! i'm sure this would improve battery life of location services as well.

according to the chip breakdown, the iphone has a more advanced version of what's in the tomtom so the only reason it wouldn't work as well is their software implementation.

i'm annoyed. :mad:

7. gts197 macrumors regular

it's probably due to poor integration with google maps. Do you think maybe because the map aren't stored locally is a reason for this also?