The Grand Tour (Amazon) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Nov 18, 2016.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I can't believe these guys are back. So happy.

[​IMG]

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I really miss those four. Especially the little white goat.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

4. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Definitely Top Gear on steroids. It's not a ton more substance than Top Gear but, considering where TG is now, it's good to have the real Top Gear back.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Very funny. Three celebrities dead, USA vs UK stuff, and knew the P1 would be the slowest since a few months back we did hear about Clarkson's home being blown up.

Good to have the trio back.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Porsche 918 still my favourite hybrid hyper car. Has all that HP but it still comes back/down to Porsche's chassis engineering.

7. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Give me the Ferrari all day. Looking forward to the NSX review.

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Good to have the trio back.

Some of the jokes admittedly got old fast, but overall promising start.

9. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Highly enjoyable episode last night, the last several years have been a bit too old so I like the fresh new paint on the three buffoons.

10. RByers8252 macrumors regular

Loved the first episode. A little slow at times but they had to get a bunch out of the way in the first episode. So happy to have something to look forward to on Black Friday with episode 2.:)

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'll give it a watch but if it's got the same Top Gear format with Hammond playing the clown I doubt i'll watch more than one episode. I stopped watching Top Gear around 2008 as I grew to hate the character play outs on the show.

12. Absrnd macrumors 6502

Absrnd

It's great that they switched to Amazon, now I have to illegally download the series to watch it,
    or wait until sometime (maybe) December ! to watch the first episode after the rest of the world has seen and discussed it already :)

I love the fact that series are readily available here...NOT !

13. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

It felt like TopGear with more cash and a little bit more freedom.

I hope they do not bring back the celebrity interviews, I found a high majority of them boring.

14. Plutonius, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

How would you rate it compared to the original show ? I don't think anything could be worse than the remake of Top Gear currently showing on the BBC :).

Do they have anyone replacing "The Stig" ?

Note: I wasn't sure what The Grand Tour was until I read this thread. You might edit the title to indicate that the show is Amazon's Top Gear replacement.

15. RByers8252 macrumors regular

Just in case anyone hasn't watched this weeks episode 2 it had some VERY hilarious moments in it. It looks like there won't be any celebrity interviews in the show, which I won't lose sleep over.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I love the celebrity interview part of the show now.... ;) About the only thing I don't like about the shows format is, "The American". I know they are trying to replicate the Stig's radio during the timed laps without being sued into oblivion by the BBC, but I don't like the overly simplifying of American stereotypes about our approach towards cars. It was funny how they did it back at Top Gear, it's obnoxious in the new way they do it.

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The chemistry between these three is fantastic, that's what the show was and the BBC didn't realize how powerful that was (not that I blame them for firing Clarkson). They did have to get a lot out of the way in the first episode, to which I like the new track (of death!), but don't like 'the American' ... I miss the STIG. :(

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Enjoyed the first one not so much the second one. In fact stopped watching the second one about 2/3 of the way through.

19. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Episode 2 really did suck. I'm loving the bits with the cars. But the parts with the audience are so awkwardly scripted and over-rehearsed.

They seem to have some really funny ideas, but then milk the jokes until they're painful. Celebrity deaths in E1 and the course retry in E2 spring immediately to mind with overstaying their welcome. Just get the laugh and move on.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I watched it as I am an Amazon Prime customer and didn't mind Top Gear about 10 years ago. Well it was Top Gear with more money with Hammond still playing an idiot, May pretending to be slow and Clarkson just being Clarkson for laughs. I probably won't watch it again to be honest.

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Did you watch the remake of Top Gear on the BBC now and how do you think it compares to The Grand Tour ?

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think they are both pretty awful I'm sad to say. I always thought if Hammond was dropped and a couple of new people were brought in to join May and Clarkson we'd have a better show. Not so sure anymore.

23. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

One thing I appreciate is the removal of celebrity interviews, they were usually the dullest part of the show.

So far so good but that Aston Martin did nothing for me, I preferred the Roller.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think at best they were hit and miss. There were some dreadful interviews, but some really good stories/interviews (James Blunt, Ryan Reynolds). It got worse though when it became a 'pitch segment' for whatever movie was coming out... but even then some times that interview was more entertaining than the movie (Will Smith and Margot Robbie comes to mind when pitching 'Focus'). It was fun to see celebrities compete just for bragging rights and a good original concept, but I guess that's part of the show they've had to give up on.

Still watching it.... though I won't say which part of the fence I'm on in the most illegally downloaded show ever... :eek:

25. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Another week, another show I really enjoyed. You just have to love Clarkson Hammond and May in order to love the show, but that has been te case for some time now. It's mostly about them and their humor which you just have to like, I get that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. For a show purely about cars, look somewhere else or skip 80% of this show.