The Grass Isn't Always Greener

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JAG21979, Feb 16, 2015.

1. JAG21979 macrumors member

I've been an Android fan since I first got my HTC Eris in 2009. Most recently I had the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I loved the way you could "make it your own." After some time, I found myself wanted the next greatest Android device, and when I got the "new one," I realized the better specs didn't amount to much difference in performance and I was left constantly waiting for the next shiny phone crammed to the gills with RAM and pixels. I picked up the iPhone 6 and thought I would try it for 14 days. I was blown away at how optimized the phone is, and how much attention to detail Apple has paid. Is it perfect, absolutely not! They could've made the phone a bit thicker to include a 2400 mAh juicer, thinner bezels etc....I've come to realize the iPhone is all about the experience. There's something sexy about simplicity. So for those of you bored with your iPhone or look at the pasture next door and think it's mighty green, think twice, it's not as green as you think. I'm not a fanboy of Android/Apple, Chevy/Ford, or McDonalds/Burger King, I get what feels right to me and right now, I'm impressed and happy with my iPhone 6.

2. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Why did you buy a Samsung phone, and then say Android is not optimised. It's Touchwiz - AOSP is fine.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't say that you like your iPhone here. They might call you a fanboy. :)
    Just rant and complain about every little thing like most here.

4. Natzoo, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

The Iwatch sucks now. Probably not going to get it, but not sure if parents will let me get the 2nd gen. Meant apple watch

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Android has some pretty awesome features. So does iOS. Glad you like your phone!

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As an Android fan (Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, Moto X, Note 3) and a huge Google fan --- I hear ya. iPhone (4s, 5, 6+) has simplicity and a beauty about it. Touchwiz on my Note 3 was just insanely laggy (6+GB) and even if I rooted and tried to ASOP it as much as possible, it just wasn't pretty. I always felt like I had something to fix or optimize on my Android devices. With an iPhone I can just use the phone and get done what I need to get done while enjoying the experience. Really liking the 6+. Being able to type full speed again is nice too (laggy on android). Adware bugs the **** out of me and not having that is really really nice.

I liken it to this.... You may get better MPG with a $20k Honda Civic, you may get a faster 0-60 with a Camaro or a Subaru but with a BMW you'll have a quality product you can enjoy for a long time - the enjoyment factor is much higher. Apps definitely feel more premium on iOS. A metal body is nice. Non-AMOLED outside is nice. Being on the latest OS - not waiting 6+ months for <carrier> to rape it is nice.

iPhone may not have quad core 2.4Ghz, 3GB of ram, or a massive 3200+mAh battery but I sure enjoy using it a lot more than I did vs Android.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Good luck with your phone. Thank you for serving your country.

8. JAG21979 thread starter macrumors member

I really created this thread in response to someone on another thread who said their iPhone 6+ was boring. All of these devices offer something good, but also come compromises. The iPhone is a great device, don't take it for granted.

----------

I'm willing to give up those niceties for stability and privacy. Android does have a great os, I just prefer iOS.

----------

Open source is what makes Android great, but worries me. The skins were never that good except for maybe sense. But I always found myself using Nova launcher because of the lagginess of some of the other skins, especially touchwiz.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Ha, another Nova launcher user :) That was the only launcher I could stand.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This has been a complaint that's been going around since the iPhone 3G. I chalk it up to people who just don't have anything to do on their phones but tinker. If you're not using your phone for anything but showing people what an awesome phone you have, then yeah, I guess you're gonna get bored after a while.

I like change and enhancement now and then, but not change for the sake of change. I rely on my phone to do a LOT of things throughout the day, so radical changes just because someone thought the look was boring is not something I want.

On the other hand, you can tinker all you want on Android, but as many Android veterans have mentioned before, it becomes a full time job just configuring your phone the way you want it. Meanwhile, Apple's done a pretty good job (at least for me) in getting the phone to work the way I want it right out of the box, more or less.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is the way to do it. I'm glad you are enjoying your new iPhone.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I love both platforms equally and have been wanting to pick up a Note4, but am probably going to wait. I'd had so many Android phones in the last few years.

It's nice to finally use an iPhone as my primary device. The iOS/OSX integration is unmatched. It just works.

Maybe I'lll pick up a S6 or Note 5 at the end of the year. The major reason I went back to iOS was for iMessage. My top 10 most contacted people... 1 has an Android phone.

13. JAG21979 thread starter macrumors member

The Note 4 is a beast of a phone, and I loved being able to swap out batteries, and using it with my Gear Live smartwatch. The camera is excellent and the screen is gorgeous. I'm interested to see how the S6 will be different than the previous editions, and how it will compete with all of its competitors. I'm enjoying how the iPhone and Apple products in general are integrated with just about everything we do. It seems Apple has worked hard to make its devices the premier devices for the world to accept. Just look at what Apple Pay has been able to accomplish versus Google Wallet.

14. technosix macrumors 6502a

This is an honest question, not a criticism.

As someone who enjoys and has been using both Androids and iPhones concurrently since the very beginning, I am puzzled why iMessage is so crucial as to be the only reason some prefer iOS.

I fully understand its advantages, and use it myself. Yet I can't imagine it being a deal maker or breaker. I've asked my fellow iPhone users, which are approximately 40% of all the smartphone users in a very large group of tech oriented friends in my circle. Not one feels it's that significant. Perhaps it's truly a use case scenario.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

McDonald's can't hold a candle to Burger King. I feel that needed to be said.

16. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I agree 100% with that. Flashing new Rom after Rom and you have no life. It gets addictive. Especially if you are active in the Development Forums and try to help new members. I rooted all my phones back to the early Nexus One. And the 6+ runs stock better for me than the rooted phones. Even with 1gb. IMHO :):)

I did not own the newer Nexus'. And, I am sure they are great. But, they seemed a little bland for me. Nova was great, especially with Home Screen backups. But, still bland for my tastes. I thought I would miss theming the Home Screens and Status Bar. But, I really like the 6+ icons over the grey, night sky backround.

It is good to have all the choices--:)

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It definitely is. The iMessage reliance used to be a bigger deal for me, before iOS8/Yosemite, when iMessage permitted you to carry on conversations on multiple devices while standard MMS/SMS didn't.

There are still quite a few advantages though. iMessage, for one, can handle just about any media an iOS device can play natively. I've dragged-and-dropped PDFs into my iMessage Window on my Mac, and get it delivered to other iMessage contacts without a problem.

And, there's just something about having that confirmation that the other person got your message.

18. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I agree on iMessage. My son and his wife have iPhones, always have. Being that he is OCD, he never wanted to message with Android. We now communicate more. He is not local. My wife had iPads since the first one and now has his iPad Air she got from our son., he bought the 2. So, me and my wife can message and do FaceTime. So, part of my reason was other family members having Apple products. And I do have a 2008 iMac courtesy of my Daughter-in-law. :)

19. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

As someone who made similar conclusions based on services like iMessage and FaceTime, here's my reasoning (though I will say up front, it is not the ONLY reason I went back and prefer iOS).

I get terrible cell reception inside my house - radiant barrier screws up the signal. Having an Android phone meant I missed a lot of texts and calls because my signal was so poor. There are iMessage alternatives on Android (which would allow me to text over wifi) but getting my wife, family, friends to all jump to an alternative messaging app just to message me (while all their other messaging happened within iMessage) just wasn't feasible.

Other services like PhotoStreams, sharing contacts via iMessage, AirDrop etc just made communicating and sharing with those I contact so much smoother and easier.

So while I'm tech-literate and curious enough to adapt and try new services, because the bulk of my contact list isn't, it made using Android an exercise in find work arounds to almost everything I did.

For me, the simplicity, elegance and experience I get from my iPhone is second to none. Not just for my own personal preferences, but in how it enhances how I communicate and share with others.

iMessage is just one (extremely great) example of that - there really isn't another messaging app anywhere as polished and feature-rich in my opinion.

Apple's services get taken for granted IMO.

20. JAG21979 thread starter macrumors member

iMessage is free to use from one iPhone user to another. This is important for some people, depending on their plan. Perhaps not a huge issue, but definitely a nice feature.

21. technosix macrumors 6502a

Thanks to all that responded to my iMessage question.

Each of your posts brought up some excellent points and reasons you find it very useful.

I learned from your perspective, which was my objective.

Cheers :)