The Great Debate: 8gb vs 16gb -Real world

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Youngdubber, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Youngdubber macrumors newbie

With the new 2015 13" rMBP, will you see a real performance difference with the base 8gb vs upgrading to the 16gb?

Particularly in edit GoPro video-

I use a late 2011 15" MBP 2.2 with only 4gb of ram and it doesn't do well with video related stuff. GoPro studio works ok I guess.

This machine will be running Traktor scratch pro 2, creative suite, and most likely final cut pro every so often for fun to cut GoPro videos.

So will 8gb be enough or should I spring for the 16gb?

Also, how much space do the OEM programs take up from the 128gb harddrive?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Average user no. If your running memory intensive applications, running multiple virtual machines yes. Majority are likely just upgrading for no other reason than speculation. Put you money into a larger SSD it will make more sense in the long run, you will find the 128Gb SSD very limiting.

Minimum install from Apple you will be look at around 120GB of free-space...

Q-6

3. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Illustrator CS6?
    Aperture/Lightroom?

I'm worried 8gb won't be enough. But 128 isn't either.

4. 617aircav Suspended

I run adobe illustrator and Photoshop on my 2012 i5 8g ram MacBook Air without issues

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would be more concerned with 128, than 8, by the time 16Bb of RAM is the minimum requirement, you will likely have moved on to a new system..

Q-6

6. Youngdubber thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Running VMs? get 16gb. Video editing for a living? get 16gb. Want to go all out and futureproof? get 16gb. Otherwise, 8gb is fine.

For the ssd size, keep in mind that external storage is cheap.

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

If you can afford both upgrades I'd go with 256 SSD and 16GB RAM.. if it's a choice between the two, I'd upgrade the SSD to 256...

9. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

My ideal computer (ideal if they added a USB C to make it future proof..) with the education discount. I think I will go for 16gb just to future proof it even though hI am not sure I need it now.

Attached Files:

10. David58117 macrumors 65816

Even trying to future proof - you're still going to be of the same hardware generation. Nobody goes "man that 2010 MacBook pro - the base model is totally outdated, but not that maxed out model! It's totally comparable to today's computers"

Take advantage of the 8Gb ram model being stock, and get a good size hard drive.

Rather than waste money trying to future proof, set what you were planning to spend aside and collect interest in a savings account.

The stock SSD and ram configs are nice as is

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Always get the stock models. You want 16gb ram, get the 15".

12. Youngdubber thread starter macrumors newbie

Great advice. I'll do that.

13. fisha macrumors regular

I have 8Gb on my machine (ok its an iMac 27) and I have Adobe CS installed , lightroom, as well as office, and the usual iTunes, mail, safari stuff running.

I generally do close out / quit programs once I'm done with them rather than leaving them running in the background (old habits etc)

The 8GB has been absolutely fine for me over the last while. The SSD is where the best improvement has been and as I'm now looking at getting a Macbook, i would put more to the SSD knowing that I have space for programs. I'd rather wait another half second for a program to load than not be able to load it at all cause I don't have the space on the SSD !

14. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I have a MBP with 16gb, I open safari , mail, lightroom 5.7.1 with a DSLR image open, it tells me it's using 8gb of ram (2.62gb of which is use for file cache). If I add Xcode to that, it consumes another 1GB but I would never have a reason to use both at the same time. If OS X would need memory it would start by reducing the file cache so 8GB is fine for a majority of people. Unless you're doing serious video editing or 3d animations, 8GB is fine for most configuration.

I went with a 16GB refurb model instead of picking a new 8GB one (for the same price).

15. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Pretty much this, but for video editing, you really need CPU to do rendering, thus get a 15" if that's what you really do. I think those guys know that already though if that's what they're doing.

Aside from VMs, 8GB is plenty. I wouldn't suggest 128GB SSD though, you want the 256GB SSD, unless you're running VMs, then bump it up to 512GB. External storage for your other needs.

16. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Ideally I'd prefer the 16/256 but that may be stretching the budget a bit. I do keep my computers a long time though (2003 G4 tower and a late 2008 unibody). My 08 maxed out at 6gb, I think if I could've done 8 it would be a little happier these days.

I'm going end up with another external and probably an SD card as well, so the cost really starts getting up there!

Thanks!