The Great Disk Space Mystery of 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blake.oistad, Oct 26, 2009.

1. blake.oistad macrumors newbie

So hey everyone, I'm running into some strange issues with my 250 gig hard drive. First off, I've got Snow Leopard installed, so that's not taking up significant disk space. Next, I've listed all of the major areas of my computer that take up more than a gig or so of space...

11 Gigs Downloads
    24 Gigs Final Cut
    3 Gigs Library
    7 Gigs Pictures
    60 Gigs Music
    24 Gigs Applications
    ===================
    129 Gigs Total User
    4 Gigs System
    5 Gigs Developer
    ===================
    138 Gigs Total

...sooo you see, it doesn't make any sense where the rest of my drive space is. There's a little around/over 100 gigs that should be accounted for here, but somehow they don't exist. This is really becoming a problem considering I'm a film student and I'm starting to use Final Cut HD alot. This isn't the problem though, I dont believe, because my entire Final Cut documents folder, as listed above, is only 24 gigs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Run away log file somewhere?

Download DiskInventoryX and see what is taking up the space.

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

You are positive that all your downloads and FC video is going where it is supposed to? That is a big difference if all is accounted for.

4. blake.oistad thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i'm sure, though as it turns out, the library folder in the HD directory is different than the User directory. So add 51 gigs to the equation, and I've got 189 gigs taken up...which still somehow leaves a good amount of gigs unaccounted for.

going to download that inventory app and see what it says though

5. mac88 macrumors 6502

Download the application and let us know. Good luck!

6. blake.oistad thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thats a great application to anyone with this problem by the way. so as it turns out there were some podcasts that i forgot i'd been meaning to delete, and a large amount of the space was actually taken up from final cut extras, like sounds and things. thanks a lot guys, problem solved!