The Great Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter Mystery

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wethackrey, Jul 9, 2012.

1. wethackrey macrumors 6502

An interesting question has come up in another thread:

If you've purchased (and received) a new MacBook Pro Retina Display, was it shipped with a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet Adapter?

The Apple Store lists it as an available accessory and does not show it among the items "in the box". Still, when I received my MBPr, it included one of the adapters. The "Designed by Apple in California" package was die-cut to accommodate the adapter. Mine was ordered as a build to order with 768GB SSD and shipped on June 27th.

At least one other member bought a new MBPr from a retail store prior to that date and it did not have an adapter.

So... an informal survey: If you have a new MBPr, please tell us if it came with an adapter and what date it was shipped.

2. wethackrey thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey... forum moderators. Why was this thread moved to Mac Peripherals? If you read the post you'll see it's a question about what is shipped in the new MacBook Pro Retina Display. Moving it to a peripherals thread misses the point (and the target audience) completely.

3. aberrero macrumors 6502a

My base model was not. I guess if you pay an extra thousand dollars they throw it in.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I haven't bought the rMBP, but when I specd up my iMac to the max in 2011, in the box there was a thunderbolt cable....It certainly wasn't as mainstream a product back then, and I've only just started using it recently. I didn't order it, and it did not appear on the packing list either. Just tucked into the main box in it's plastic packet.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Ordered together 2.5 hours after the online stores reopened, shipped on the 18th, adapter sits inside the box.

6. wethackrey thread starter macrumors 6502

I waited a few hours. Had to get to the airport. I ordered it on my iPad using in-flight wifi. How cool is that? I probably ordered four hours after you did and the mbpr shipped 9 days later than yours.

From the limited response so far it looks like maybe the adapter is a build to order thing.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I ordered two days after it was announced because I needed two days to get over the tragedy of the "new" Mac Pro and to decide what to do. I ordered the TB - > GbE adaptor at the same time and it does come in the rMBP box. At first I thought they forgot to include it.

8. wethackrey thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm... so you ordered an adapter at the same time as the MBPr and it came in the box? I ordered one at the same time also and one was shipped separately. AND I got one in the box.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes. Seems like you got lucky.

10. wethackrey thread starter macrumors 6502

Except other members received the adapters without ordering them. It really looks more like Apple is shipping the adapter standard on BTO Macs.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Mine was BTO as well. 2.6/16GB/512GB

PROCESSOR 065-C0MX 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    MEMORY 065-0474 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    FLASH STORAGE 065-0478 512GB Flash Storage
    Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adptr 065-0484 No VGA Adapter
    Apple Thunderbolt to Enet Adpt 065-C0VG Apple Thunderbolt to Enet Adpt
    KEYBOARD AND DOCUMENTATION B065-0490 KYBD/USER'S GUIDE-GBR
    COUNTRY KIT B065-0493 COUNTRY KIT-GBR

I was charged £25 for the adaptor even though it does not show up directly on the invoice

12. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I got my BTO 2.7/16/512 as ordered - without the ethernet adapter.

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

The link appears in both places so why is there an issue?

----------

It is likely country specific. USA does not get the adapter.

14. wethackrey thread starter macrumors 6502

I doesn't appear in both places for me. If I'm in the MacBook Pro forum, the topic isn't visible. And, since this is all about what ships with the MacBook Pro and not at all about the peripheral itself, I have a hard time understanding what the rationale was to move it.

I'm in the USA and I DID receive the adapter -- as did a number of other members in the USA. It looks more like it may be a build-to-order thing. Seems like retail packages don't get it but BTO shipments do. But even that isn't consistent.