Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
Man, why can't Apple just sell an unlocked phone.... I live in Indonesia and i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY :eek: want it as soon as possible. I know it comes to Asia in 2008 but..its not fair that the US gets it in 2007. The iPhone CAN be used in Asia if you buy the 2007 model BUT Apple, GET YOUR DEVICE OUT OF LOCKED CINGULAR HANDS! :mad: DUDE...Just sell 2 models..one being unlocked and one locked. Lost of VisualVoiceMail is okay..i WANT the iPhone..as soon as possible!!:mad:

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Man, why can't Apple just sell an unlocked phone.... I live in Indonesia and i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY :eek: want it as soon as possible. I know it comes to Asia in 2008 but..its not fair that the US gets it in 2007. The iPhone CAN be used in Asia if you buy the 2007 model BUT Apple, GET YOUR DEVICE OUT OF LOCKED CINGULAR HANDS! :mad: DUDE...Just sell 2 models..one being unlocked and one locked. Lost of VisualVoiceMail is okay..i WANT the iPhone..as soon as possible!!:mad:

Keep you pants on man.... they didn't say that they weren't going to offer unlocked ones. Did they?:confused:

dshootist

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
hmmm...

Last I heard, Cingular has the exclusive carrier rights for the iPhone and ANY Apple derivatve of the iPhone for several years. I'll check to see if I can find that link again.

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
Last I heard, Cingular has the exclusive carrier rights for the iPhone and ANY Apple derivatve of the iPhone for several years. I'll check to see if I can find that link again.

Yea..but..that's only for the US. I'm Indonesian and mobile phone technology here is great. We got full coverage of 3G in Jakarta. Now all Im asking Apple to do is to quickly RELEASE A PHONE IN ASIA SOONER THAN 2008!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ..or i'll just wait until a hacker comes along and unlocks the phone...

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
I think this is the first time ever the US has been the first to market on cutting edge technology and I'm loving it. :p

Usually I'm the one looking to purchase phones from overseas!

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
..or i'll just wait until a hacker comes along and unlocks the phone...

Yeah, thats a actually a pretty common practice were i live.

The system here is completely different, no contracts or phone+connection deals, just buy the phone for 2 or 3 times the regular price and then use it with any carier you like - much much cheaper in the long term. ;)

But many people bring phones from other countries which they buy using a contract and have them unlocked for something like $30, so it's possible you won't have to wait till 2008.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Aren't phones normally unlocked outside the US?

Since Cingular has an exclusive contract, the unlocked phones won't be available after the exclusivity runs out.

Once the unlocked versions are available, a lot are going to end up back in the U.S.

I plan on getting an unlocked one...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
2008? I can't even get it by then (im in the usa) unless I wait out my service with verizon and cancel in two years, which is in 2009. I agree with you.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I think this is the first time ever the US has been the first to market on cutting edge technology and I'm loving it. :p

Cell phone technology perhaps. We're still have an edge in processors (well, sorta. I don't think Intel, AMD, or IBM delay their products to international markets) And Internet2 is U.S.-only. Never mind that we have the highest number of broadband subscribers (56m as of this past June), even though percentage wise we're #12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.