The GREATEST Printers!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by modit, Oct 3, 2010.

1. modit macrumors 6502

I'm buying a Mac and was wondering what is the best home printer I could get with there $100 rebate.

Here's the link http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_366005/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/printers?mco=MTM3NzA2MjI

I'm looking for a brand that doesn't kill your wallet when replacing ink. Example, some brands won't let you print if your out of 1 colour

(Canadians spell color like that :p).

Canon...Lexmark...Epson...which one? I'm sure a wireless printer is really useful as well.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

The $100 Epson has it's share of strikes against it.

A review:
    I'm looking for one that's wireless, fast, and from a brand that doesn't try to screw you on ink. Photos and other fluff is not important :)

Looks are important :p

EDIT: Never mind...I'll just save my money and buy a printer when I can calculate the cost per page below 10 cents and has good wireless connectivity. Maybe in the LightPeak or USB 3 era :p

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Get whichever printer you want and use cartridge refill services such as from Costco or OfficeMax. I've had really bad luck with buying refurbished cartridges, but the refill services work fine for me.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have the Epson 610. It scans and prints wirelessly from both my macs and I have sent and received faxes. No problems to report. I haven't yet needed to replace ink; I think I've had the printer since April so that's about seven months worth of printing. Hmmmm that doesn't seem right now that I think about it. Has anyone else gotten that much use out of printer ink. My wife is a teacher and does a decent amount of color printing.

6. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

If photos aren't important, then color probably isn't too important either. In that case, I'd absolutely get a small monochrome laser printer for the bulk of what you'll need a printer for.

Pros: Laser toner doesn't dry out if you don't use it very often, cost per page is WAY lower than most inkjet printers, don't need to buy special paper to help control inkjet costs. Text quality is generally much better and sharper than an inkjet can produce (and the inkjets that can do "laser quality" use more ink when they do print that way.)

Cons: Laser printers tend to cost a little more when you first purchase them, toners can be around $60+ (but remember that you'll go through nearly 5x or more pages before you need to change it, as compared to an average (and definitely a cheap) inkjet printer.) Black and white only (color lasers are WAY more expensive, and for the most part you don't get the same photo quality if you do want the occasional print.)

I have a Samsung 2525W - been very happy with Samsung quality and price, although Brother also makes a good mono laser.

Hope this helps!

7. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

I agree 100%

I am in my third year in college and if I can say first hand that as long as you have access to some sort of color printer for the rare occasion that you might need to print in color a monochrome laser printer is an ideal solution. I made the mistake of buying one of the $100 (free) all in ones and yeah, its a fine printer, but its got so many gimmicks that i never use. My roommate on the other hand bought a laser printer, and it prints quickly, and reliably. Plus the toner lasts forever!!

Best of Luck!

8. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Brother Laser

I could not agree more, I just got a brother 2470 mono laser and it's great and wireless.

9. Dan-- macrumors regular

I haven't had an ink jet printer in my house for about 5 years now, and most of what I can say is "WOOO HOOO!"

I'll second (or 3rd or 4th) what's already been said. If you can live without color, get a B&W laser printer. The print jets don't clog. It's pretty fast, and you can't beat the quality. The cartridges last a looong time.

After awhile, we decided we needed color. So we got an inexpensive color laser printer too. Something similar to this Samsung for $150. Now, it's not good for photos mind you, the ink jets beat the pants off of it, but it'll do in a pinch. It's great for charts and school projects that require a bit of color. It doesn't jam or clog jets either, but the refills are a bit more, and don't seem to last that long. I'm not sure I'd recommend this printer as a sole option, but it works well to supplement the B&W one.

I just bought some color replacement cartridges from monoprice (!) [I didn't know they sold em til recently], but they're not yet installed. Hopefully, they'll work well, and this will be an economical approach.

-Dan​

10. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I got a refurbed Konica Minola 2430DL color laser about 4 years ago and, even with heavy printing of DVD covers (for legal reasons, thank you) and such, I still have yet to go through the set of colo(u)r cartridges the printer came with.

I had several ink jet printers previously and they would always clog, jam, or just plain dry up. I have made my money back several-fold on this color laser.

-Aaron-

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I must've gone through about 10 inkjet printers in my lifetime and don't have a good thing to say about them. I agree with the others, go with a laser.

12. joaoferro99 macrumors member

The GREATEST printer is the one that can do refillable system or bulk ink system, continuous ink system. more and more AIO are unable to equip the CIS :(

13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I don't know how important color is to you, but you should get a $60 HP BW laser.

Inkjets are a joke imo. Way too expensive to run and they break all the time.

I am not sure if HP still sells the P1005/P1006 models. I have had this printer for over 2 years now, still going solid.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I agree; Laser for the win. Except I'm partial to Brother printers, as opposed to HP. Not saying HP printers are bad, just never used HP laser printers.

15. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

i'm gonna support the other helpful people here...

Laser printers are much more smarter than inkjets, page/cost per cartridge, reliability, etc. I got hundreds of extra pages by simply taping the sensor...Inkjet printers should be done away with, they are so obsolete tech. Greedy companies playin us for the $$$.!!!

I'd go refurbished and get a nice laser (B+W or Colour). Brother's are nice (that's what I have),...had it for almost four years now....but they are power hungry and make lights flicker, don't know about the recent ones...WIFI feature sound nice...

16. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

I have had a nightmare with an old Epson inkjet, and was going to get a laser. But bought my laptop a couple of years back and got the basic HP printer with the £60 rebate. It has been a revelation, works great. Ink lasts a decent time and I bought refills for cheap on ebay. Has a scanner also which is just as good as my dedicated Epson (fair few years old) flatbed.
    To be fair I do not print that often but photos are good, and the kids school work is great. I am sure a laser would be great though - maybe next time.

Just my 2p worth.
    James

17. joaoferro99 macrumors member