The growing 500GB MyBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Freis968, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Ok, if you do not believe that when left alone in the dark your MyBook does not grow you are in for as much of a treat as I was.

My, MyBook 500GB Dual interface external hard drive CRASHED a few months back. I still keep it around hoping that one day it will magically start working again. I hooked it up just a bit ago but alas it did not work. It just kept making this clicking sound until finally I got a Disk Insertion error and was asked if I wanted to Initialize, Eject or Ignore. I clicked on Initialize for kicks and this is what I saw...check out the size of this 500GB drive...

Attached Files:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, something definitely wrong with it. Funny though.

And, Clicking sound? Sounds like a bad sector. Have you tried formatting or will it not even do that?

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Dude, that's cool. I know that can't be true, but I've always wondered why a 500 Gb drive can't become a 750 Gb drive... they've got the same basic insides, maybe it's size or stability, I dunno.

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about hard drives. But I know Memory Stick companies (e.g San Disk, Sony, etc) do this sometimes. They mass produce a larger size like a 1gb memory stick, then they partition it off (don't remember what its called exactly) and they make smaller memory sticks like 256mb's, and 512mb's using the standard 1gb stick.

In your case, I think it's just an error. Call WD and ask whats up.