The guy from the Mac commercials has a jailbroken iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ohaithar, Aug 18, 2010.

1. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Pretty sure The JKS jailbroke it for him so they could display it on the tv.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Exactly. Looks like the last two apps installed were Cydia and TVOutTuner. No evidence of any customization.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

So ? Many people have jailbroken their phones and many have not.

4. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Well it's kinda funny to see a person who worked for Apple touting Apple products having a jailbroken iPhone.
    Regardless if he did it or the studio, I find it ironic

5. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I read somewhere that he had a quote stating how he likes PC more than mac actually! EDit YAY my 400th post! "Throws confetti"

6. i11i1i macrumors regular

Proof?

7. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I will try and find it

8. ohaithar thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Mircosoft should go hire him them

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

he is a paid actor that happens to be being paid by Apple. and as thelatinist said there is barely any evidence of JB. It's slightly funny that's about it.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I heard he once was allowed to stand inside an apple store window. He would act like a cutout of himself and then scare the the people looking at him. :p

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The PC in the Get A Mac commercials has used a Mac since the 90’s (or maybe earlier).

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm sure if you look, many people at Apple or work for Apple have jailbroken phones. Apple as a company has only been anti-jailbreaking as far as not supporting jailbroken phones. Apple doesn't go out of it's way to stop jailbreaking (the exception would be the latest security hole for webpage jailbreaking) but likewise, Apple doesn't concern itself with how it could be breaking jailbroken phones each time when Apple comes out with a new update.

13. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

They had to jailbreak it to connect it to the TV.. lol

14. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Actually Apple have consistently closed every exploit the dev team uses for their jailbreaks in the next firmware. At the end of the day they are still exploits. Saying that, Apple could implement methods to make jailbreaking much harder but choose not to for reasons unknown.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I saw a conversation with John Hodgman (PC guy), where he used a MacBook Air and I heard the rumour about Justin Long too. But reality doesn't make those 'Get a Mac' adverts less smug and annoying.

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Clearly market research shows the commercials are effective. So they may be smug and annoying to you......but not anymore than your sig is to me.

S-

17. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Advertising in general is effective. The question is always, whether within the given marketing budget, the most effective campaign was run. There are suggestions that in this case, the campaign run its natural course and quite a bit more. I read an article about how people developed negative feelings towards Long's character as the PC guy was made an underdog. I'll try to find it tomorrow.

Also, it is not clear, how much of Apple's success lies in this campaign and how much comes from the boost that comes from the success of the iPod, iPhone and iPad product ranges. Computer sales didn't increase that much in the last four years, there was a few percent rise. Meanwhile, Apple started using Intel which was a great opportunity for them to increase market share.

I'll try to find figures about Windows 7's campaign too. Now I'm curious about the effectiveness of the campaign.

PS: I can live with my annoying signature, in fact I like the first bit a lot. It makes a statement that people should rise above idiotic marketing mantra and recognise that consumer choice has less connection with identity than some corporations would like you to realise.