Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
[doublepost=1527560458][/doublepost]
I had the same thing happen to me today :(. It was scary, but I managed to fix it by reseating the CPU tray and reseting my original GT120 in the first and second PCIe slot. Maybe it was just luck, but now mine is up and running again. I really hope this helps

I need more time to setup my Hackintosh. And my wife want me to recover the Mac ASAP. So I got a $450 very good condition dual processor 2009 Mac Pro. With the extra parts, I can now run the swap test, which confirmed the logic board is failed.

Not sure what happened. It was working, and suddenly refuse to POST after a warm reboot.

The "new" cMP is very very clean, no dust at all. All fans are very silent. But the strange part is the PSU (inside) looks a bit different than my current one. And it run much much warmer (even it's completely clean). So, I use my own Pixlas modded PSU, my own upgrade CPU tray, and the "new" logic board and fans... Basically combine all the better parts to a single good condition cMP.

My Hackintosh plan still ongoing. Same as pastrychef, most of the time is now spent on choosing a case. I want functions (e.g. cooling, dust control) and expendability (e.g. can accommodate long graphic cards, and has plenty of HDD bay). But my wife only care how it looks. So we need more time to get a win-win solution.

At this moment, I believe I will go for this case. Simple design, aluminium exterior. 7 expansion slots, up to 8 3.5" HDD, can accommodate 420mm graphic card and 194mm CPU cooler. Very fit our demand.
71xZ6UXNrBL._SL1500_.jpg

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
[doublepost=1527603015][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1527560458][/doublepost]
I had the same thing happen to me today :(. It was scary, but I managed to fix it by reseating the CPU tray and reseting my original GT120 in the first and second PCIe slot. Maybe it was just luck, but now mine is up and running again. I really hope this helps

Always check the Northbridge heatsink rivet: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ng-broken-northbridge-heatsink-rivet.2046462/

Easy to repair when it happens.

Reactions: devon807

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
@pastrychef (or anyone else) Would you have a recommendation for a 370/coffee lake mini-ITX board that has the best compatibility and easiest build for all features? (Sleep is especially important to me.)

Thanks!

I have only ever worked on Asus motherboards for hackintoshing and have had very good success with them. I'm confident that if you use an Asus ITX motherboard, you can use the info in my Z370 build thread as a basis for your own ITX build. The only thing you would probably have to do is create your own SSDT file for USB.

Generally speaking, I think that all the Z370 motherboards can achieve the same level of compatibility. Motherboards from different manufacturers may require slightly different methods to fix some things but the differences should be minimal.

I recommend reading some of the success stories on tonymacx86.com's User Builds and Golden Builds sections. Find a good guide for a motherboard that you feel meets your needs and follow it. That's exactly how I started and I have Stork to thank for his fantastic guide.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

devon807

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
I need more time to setup my Hackintosh. And my wife want me to recover the Mac ASAP. So I got a $450 very good condition dual processor 2009 Mac Pro. With the extra parts, I can now run the swap test, which confirmed the logic board is failed.

Not sure what happened. It was working, and suddenly refuse to POST after a warm reboot.

The "new" cMP is very very clean, no dust at all. All fans are very silent. But the strange part is the PSU (inside) looks a bit different than my current one. And it run much much warmer (even it's completely clean). So, I use my own Pixlas modded PSU, my own upgrade CPU tray, and the "new" logic board and fans... Basically combine all the better parts to a single good condition cMP.

My Hackintosh plan still ongoing. Same as pastrychef, most of the time is now spent on choosing a case. I want functions (e.g. cooling, dust control) and expendability (e.g. can accommodate long graphic cards, and has plenty of HDD bay). But my wife only care how it looks. So we need more time to get a win-win solution.

At this moment, I believe I will go for this case. Simple design, aluminium exterior. 7 expansion slots, up to 8 3.5" HDD, can accommodate 420mm graphic card and 194mm CPU cooler. Very fit our demand.
View attachment 763440
Nice! glad to see everything is working out for you.
[doublepost=1527884195][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1527603015][/doublepost]

Always check the Northbridge heatsink rivet: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ng-broken-northbridge-heatsink-rivet.2046462/

Easy to repair when it happens.
Thanks, will keep an eye NB temps.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
Hi am I mistaken that there was a Hackintosh section on this forum? Has it been deleted?

How difficult is it to get a modern Hackintosh system ie running High Sierra with continuity working? What tutorial or website would you recommend?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, anybody succeed in making a Hackintosh out of the following laptops: X1 Carbon 6gen, T480s, T480, T580 and P52S. P51 and P71 ?

LazarX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Jersey City
in 8 years of doing hackintoshes, I have never understood the attraction to them. I have never had one, through P45 chipset, up to Z97, ever go smoothly. The guys on tonymac swear by them but even following their instructions to the letter there are always hiccups. Ive had far less problems over the years with Intel, Asus, and Supermicro boards. Hell, the Intel DQ77MK board was possibly the easiest hackintosh I ever built... 25 minutes from booting off installer USB to booting successfully on its own with literally everything working 100%. best hack board ever. Gigabyte sucks balls.
[doublepost=1526689270][/doublepost].

I have the DQ77MK motherboard myself, with an Nvida 560 TI graphics card. I can get OS X Sierra installed but getting the post install part of MacBeast is throwing me for a loop. What are the options I should be checking and what manual file installations do I need to make?

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I haven't hackintoshed since 2008 but boy this time was so much easier with all the progress and tools available. There's so many guides with one's hardware out now. I believe having motherboard based guides was key. Having nvidia/amd graphics card working was eventually going to be ironed out.

Having no issues with my hackintosh (I created one out of a spare drive on my gaming rig; dual booting with Clover).

Nvidia web driver works also.

Anything else I need to look out for?

My hardware is 6700k cpu, nvidia 1080ti, asus z170 pro motherboard, corsair vengeance 16GB DDR4 ram, some WD 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive (may move it to an SSD).

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
h9826790, what became of your broken cMP, and your hack project? It seems like you got your cMP back up and running.

The cMP confirmed the logic board failure. And yes, it's back up and running now. I found a very good condition 4,1 at reasonable price. So, now I have more time to study and decide my build.

At this moment, I've got my Hackintosh shopping list done.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi ac, Z370, ATX, LGA1151, 4*DDR4, Graphic by CPU
https://www.asus.com/hk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-WI-FI-AC/

Intel,Core,i7-8700K 3.7GHz Coffeelake 6/12 FCLGA1151 BX80684I78700K

Noctua NH-D15
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15

Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 (CMU32GX4M2A2666C16)(WHITE)

Corsair HX 850i/850W Fully-Modular ATX PowerSupply,10 Years Warranty (80PLUS PLATINUM)(CORSAIR LINK)(CP-9020073-NA)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Anthracite Grey ATX Tempered Glass Case (PH-ES515ETG_AG)(886523300922)
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-ATX-TemperedGlass.html

PNY XLR8 1080Ti (on my cMP now, will swap that out for a RX580 8GB)

1TB NVMe M.2>Samsung 970EVO SSD or 1TB Plextor M9PeGN M.2 NVMe (PX-1TM9PeGN) depends on the price and availability in the store.

My annual leave just started, I am now deciding (with my wife) how to accommodate this extra computer. Then I can get all the parts and build it. Since my Mac still working. I will use this Hackintosh as Windows computer initially and primarily (mainly for gaming and video encoding). Take my time to learn how to install the macOS. Once got it stable and smooth. Will try to switch to that as the primary computer (macOS). And use the cMP for video encoding.

The most ideal situation is that RX580 support GPU hardware encoding in 10.14. So that the cMP can stay in macOS but assist the Hackintosh to encode videos. I have't try the RX580 hardware encoding yet, but from the 1080Ti's experience, the video quality is not a problem at all. Hopefully the RX580 can deliver the same video quality.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
My annual leave just started, I am now deciding (with my wife) how to accommodate this extra computer. Then I can get all the parts and build it. Since my Mac still working. I will use this Hackintosh as Windows computer initially and primarily (mainly for gaming and video encoding). Take my time to learn how to install the macOS. Once got it stable and smooth. Will try to switch to that as the primary computer (macOS). And use the cMP for video encoding.

To be very honest, I find installing macOS on a hackintosh much easier than installing Windows.

Reactions: zoltm and h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
To be very honest, I find installing macOS on a hackintosh much easier than installing Windows.

That will be an extremely good news to me :D
[doublepost=1530163894][/doublepost]
Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing your Hackintosh come together. I really like the case you chose!

Yeah, same as pastrychef, that cost me most of the time. I really want a case that looks good, not plastic, able to accommodate at least six hard drives, able to use that 160mm tall cooler, able to accommodate my 314mm long graphic card, and available in a local store....

Even this is not the perfect one (I prefer metal side panel more than glasses), but this still basically meet all my requirement with a good looking (personal). :D

Reactions: howiest

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
That will be an extremely good news to me :D

Your motherboard choice is very similar to the motherboard I am using. This means that you can install using the method I detailed in my build description on tonymacx86.com. That will just two steps to what you would normally do to install macOS on a real Mac.

After installing, you should configure the USB to what macOS expects. This step will take a little bit of time, but macOS will already be up and running before you begin this.

Also, since your motherboard has an M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, I highly recommend you replace the stock Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with an Apple made card. I use a BCM94360CS2 and it has been working flawlessly. You can see details here.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Your motherboard choice is very similar to the motherboard I am using. This means that you can install using the method I detailed in my build description on tonymacx86.com. That will just two steps to what you would normally do to install macOS on a real Mac.

After installing, you should configure the USB to what macOS expects. This step will take a little bit of time, but macOS will already be up and running before you begin this.

Also, since your motherboard has an M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, I highly recommend you replace the stock Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with an Apple made card. I use a BCM94360CS2 and it has been working flawlessly. You can see details here.

Just finished the hardware build today. Windows installed. Basic test and setting done. I simply use the software auto tune, which easily achieve stable 5.1GHz (all cores). I didn't delid the CPU because I prefer to keep the warranty. Max at 85C is a bit warm, but that's just for stress test. Normally I won't stress all cores to 5.1GHz.

And now, it's time to install the macOS :D

Reactions: pastrychef

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Tried whole night, no progress yet. Follow the exact same procedure to create the USB drive, set the BIOS, then boot form the USB drive.

Always able to boot to Clover. However, only the very 1st time that the USB installer actually shows up in the Clover boot menu.

I select that, but macOS failed to install half way down.

So, tried few times, including using the recovery partition which is already there. Still unable to get the macOS installed.

Then I decided to clear everything except Windows, and start again.

But this time, no matter how many times I try, which setting I used, how I create the USB drive. The macOS installed doesn't show up in the Clover boot menu. Only 4 Windows partitions (most likely due to Windows 10 was installed in EFI mode, therefore, 4 partitions.

And Since I already remove all partitions on the target SSD, so, no recovery partition can use as well.

I have't sleep for almost 30 hours now. Really need to take a rest, hopefully I will have some new direction tomorrow.

P.S. Anyway, this is a good Windows gaming machine.

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Tried whole night, no process yet. Follow the exact same procedure to create the USB drive, set the BIOS, then boot form the USB drive.

Always able to boot to Clover. However, only the very 1st time that the USB installer actually shows up in the Clover boot menu.

I select that, but macOS failed to install half way down.

So, tried few times, including using the recovery partition which is already there. Still unable to get the macOS installed.

Then I decided to clear everything except Windows, and start again.

But this time, no matter how many times I try, which setting I used, how I create the USB drive. The macOS installed doesn't show up in the Clover boot menu. Only 4 Windows partitions (most likely due to Windows 10 was installed in EFI mode, therefore, 4 partitions.

And Since I already remove all partitions on the target SSD, so, no recovery partition can use as well.

I have't sleep for almost 30 hours now. Really need to take a rest, hopefully I will have some new direction tomorrow.

P.S. Anyway, this is a good Windows gaming machine.

Did you use one of the EFI folders from my Z370-G build thread?

Another alternative is to just clone your Mac Pro's system drive, then put the EFI folder in to the EFI partition of the clone drive and plug it in to your hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.