The headphone/charge struggle is real

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hey,

I just ran into the issue that a lot has been written about for the first time..
    I've been at home working the whole day, being on the phone with my clients for like 3,5 hours, and browsing the web for like an hour, and my battery of the iP7 is already at 34%. I find it crazy how fast this thing drains, it claims I have a weak cellular connection here, even though I have 3 bars at least all the time.
    But anyway, so I was on the phone with my lightning adapter headphones and wanted to casually plug it into the charger while I was talking nearby my computer - boom - failure - it's just not possible :D
    It really struck me there for a moment.
    Of course I know the issue will be gone once I end up with proper BT headphones, but cmon apple and beats, release yours already! I won't bother buying anything without the W1 chip.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Really? Did you have to make a thread about this? It's been discussed to death...

3. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

The question is this: does anyone have any idea when the earpods will come out at last?

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Belkin has a MFI certified dongle.

Or you can just go speaker phone and charge if you're at home?

Maybe turn your brightness down, known to be a big factor for battery drain. And maybe use wifi or wifi assist assuming your at home for your signal issues?

IMG_8298.JPG IMG_8297.PNG

5. TechDiva macrumors 6502

TechDiva

I ran into the same problem when my bluetooth headphones were charging and I wanted to use my regular headphones with the adapter but then my phone also needed to be charged. I opted to use the corded headphones, just for a shorter period of time than I had originally planned to.

Not to mention the times that I have forgotten to pack up my bluetooth headphones in my purse in the morning because I've forgotten them on the charger. So, I get to work and end up having to use the corded ones (which are always stored in my purse). And, I typically listen to music for most of my 8 hour day, which means that the bluetooth headphones have to be charged when I get home (if not needing to be charged during the day). And that means that I have to remember to grab them off the charger in the morning before leaving for work.

it just hasn't become a habit to grab the bluetooth headphones in the morning like I do with my phone because, well, my phone is much more important ;) I'm still definitely in an adjustment period.

6. virginiaplain0 macrumors member

I guess when I buy the iPhone 7+, which I will next year when I get money, I will have to start packing my PowerBeats in my purse and will have to get used to charging them every 3 days or so.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Why do we even want a lighter or thinner, or a phone that has less ports, and an OS that is littered with features so we don't have to carry a big bag with a laptop in it ---- when we instead use that bag now to fill it iwth power banks, bt headphones, and battery packs, and extra cables and backup earbuds, etc?

I rather bring my laptop for the ride now - just to get things done.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I hope you will be able to adjust.

9. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'd love to know what the holdup is on the Belkin dongle. I'm planning to buy two of them the second they're released. I game a lot, and sometimes I just want normal wired headphones and charging while I'm gaming. My bluetooth earbuds don't last very long if I've used them for daily work commute (2hrs total), run (1hr daily), and then for calls at work.

11. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I agree with you about the W1 chipped headphones. Apple totally botched the removal of the headphone jack by not having the essential products necessary to streamline the transition ready at the start. The Solo 3's are available but for $300. The AirPods are really the product that's going to help sell this transition away from the headphone jack.

Add to that, there's no way to use Lightning headphones on anything else. Judging by the paucity of rumors about such an adapter, I can only imagine Apple doesn't plan on supporting them in any other way to push wireless.

My hope is, regardless of whether wireless is the end goal or not, I hope that someone, if not Apple, develops a simpler, less expensive charging/listening cable like this -- which is what Apple should have included in the box in place of the current standard Lightning connector:

[​IMG]