iPad The Heck is going on? (charging issues)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigMAC28, Aug 17, 2013.

1. bigMAC28, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013

bigMAC28 macrumors member

I just bought an iPad retina about a week ago and have only charged it twice. But when i do charge it , the iPad BARELY charges. Im running on 4 hours and im at 28 Percent. From what i have read on line there may be a recurring issue with this. I just called tech support and they danced around the question a little bit. Have any of you heard of this before? if so, should I return the ipad for something else?

2. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

You haven't mentioned how you're charging.

3. bigMAC28 thread starter macrumors member

With Wall charger and a lightning cable. Tried switching the cable and still nothing. I am currently charging through my macbook pro and im getting a trickle. It went from 28 percent an hour ago to 33 percent now.

4. sixstrings03, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

sixstrings03 macrumors regular

Are you using the wall charger that came with the ipad? If you use the iPhone wall charger or most other USB wall chargers the wattage isn't sufficient to charge it quickly.

At least that's what's happened to me in the past with this kind of issue

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

When plugged into the wall are you using the 10/12 watt adapter or the smaller iphone adapter?

6. bigMAC28, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

bigMAC28 thread starter macrumors member

Im using the charger that came with the iPad. The Cable shouldn't matter?

----------

See above

7. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Do you live near an Apple store where you can take it in for them to do diagnostics on it? It just shouldn't take that long if you are using the supplied cable and adapter.

8. bigMAC28 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I can, But its going to be a huge pain. The reason why i asked is because I want to decide if it is a recurring issue or not so I can be prepared to return it if i need to.

9. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

they have a 14 day return policy. since you're within the return policy why don't you just go in, return it and exchange it for a new one.

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Well the fastest way to charge is through a wall receptacle and not your Mac. It should only take about 5 hours from dead to full charge. I would play around a bit with diff cable yet again, and even trying a diff wall receptacle and such. If there is no change then I am afraid you got a lemon.
    Take it back.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Are you using it at the same time. The display is a bit of a power suck so if that is on it can eat a big chunk of the charge rather than it going to the battery

Also have you tried a different power outlet. That could be where the fault is. Especially if it's a power strip and not directly into the wall