The Hesitation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Mar 9, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I know everyone here loves macs and apple products. But, has anyone ever had that hesitation to buy a pc laptop that has 2 times better specs then the macbook pro you want to buy and the pc is still cheaper? We'll I have, especially with the HP Pavilion and HP Envy laptops. I chose the macbook pro instead and I am happy with my decision. Sometimes I try to remind myself of Apples amazing OS and that usually helps me. Have you ever had this hesitation to buy a PC laptop instead of a Mac? What helps you decide which one to get?

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I look at the stack of creaky, non-functioning PC laptops in my office that I used to go through like water.

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Haha yeah. But Mac's aren't the most durable computers out there. They have their problems too.

4. sylvantemplar macrumors newbie

As a programmer and system administrator, I love the fact that my Mac will effortlessly run 99% of Linux software and utilities. I love the control that the *nix command line gives me over my operating environment. I love the beautifully bright screen, vibrant colors, outstanding keyboard, and first-class trackpad.

I love that when something isn't working, I can actually figure out why, and fix it. In Windows, most of the time it's a hellish adventure through the registry.

I love the sturdy design, and the unparalleled resale value.

I put a lot of care into building software products for iOS, OS X, and the web - I'm so grateful to have a tool that clearly was designed with the same paradigms in mind.

My only rergret is not getting into OS X at an earlier age.

5. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well the keyboard is a little cheap. And sometimes there are some pixel issues with the Mac but yeah I look forward to using my macbook pro for coding and programming!

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Blasphemer! :eek:

Really though... build quality is the #1 reason I went to a mac. I will never forget holding one of those lowly white macbooks back in '07. At the time it was already 2 years old but I marveled over the fact it was still just as solid as the day it was born. :)

Now while I do think OSX is starting to suck, Apple's products are built to last. And if you do happen to get a dud they take care of you.

7. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Yes they certainly have good customer service. But you have to be careful about not scratching or dropping your Mac, Especially if it isn't under warranty!!

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I did. I bought a Dell for 1/3 the price of a comparable mac. I haven't regretted it once yet.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You mean the white macbooks with downgraded lcd displays relative to the powerbooks and cheap keyboards that would always stick (not that the keys would always appear to stick but the system would register them as still being held down):rolleyes:? No matter how careful you are with these things, they have issues just like other computers. Apple skimps a bit on their low end models too, but their low end is still not cheap relative to the overall market. Even in the 15" macbook pro, they should have attempted to maintain better rigidity in the unibody design (although I like the lack of creaky panels relative to the old one).

Dell seems to be hit and miss. Regardless of the computer brand, waiting for reviews is generally a good thing because they all have problems (including Macs).