The hidden rising cost of the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AR999, Oct 24, 2012.

1. AR999 macrumors regular

Just noticed, the iPad storage capacities and prices have remained the same through version 1 to 4, considering the price of flash storage would have decreased a lot since version 1 we are paying old flash prices, Apple are not passing along any discount, they could easily offer the 32gb at the price the 16 used to cost in 2010.

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Exactly, Apple has the highest mark-up for storage than any other electronic manufacturer.

3. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

It would be great if they would include a SD card slot to expand storage. I'd even go along with it only being available in the 64GB version.

4. seajewel macrumors 6502

Yeah I can't believe the bump to 32gb is $100 still.. especially on the Mini. Maybe next year Apple will start the full-sized iPad at 32GB, $499. Doesn't help me now though. At the same time I know 16GB is enough for certain people.. if you don't keep music, videos, large apps on your iPad, it will do. but it just seems like the $100 to go up to 32GB is completely overpriced.

5. Noisemaker Guest

It ups their profit margin, and backs their push towards cloud computing. Most people don't even know what a Gigabyte is, let alone why the hell they need 64 of them.

6. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Sad but true.

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

On the other hand, cost-adding features have been added like the Retina display, A6X chip, 5 MP camera and more.

That's what Apple earns a lot on: on the capacity-expanding models. And hey, who could blame them? Customers are willing to pay these prices and Apple is, well, a commercial company.

8. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

if you need the various ports for extra storage, Windows RT (windows 8 for tablets) tablets will have USB and expandable storage slots when they release this friday

9. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't necessarily call this a "rising cost". In fact, if you account for inflation, you are paying less than you would have 3 years ago.

It's a rip off, yeah, but it's a ripoff that doesn't change prices.

10. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Agreed - also as another poster noted above, you forget they add new features every year (faster processor, retina display, better battery, better camera, thinner device) yet still sell at the same price - even while the $ continues its fall.

It's all a wash IMO, though I'd totally be for 32/64/128 as the new storage standards sometime soon.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

Early Surface (RT) reviews are disappointing, so like the old joke about the restaurant where not only is the food bad but the portions are small - there's no pleasing 100% of everyone's expectations.