Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
You heathen!

We're not the same, you and I. I'm using a NAS. That's a Network Attached Storage. Way better than external drives.

ok, we're the same. Apple's pricing for internal storage is insane. It amazes me that people buy it when there are many far cheaper alternatives out there. NAS and/or external storage and/or cloud. I don't need to have access to that photo of my child's birthday party in 2003 at all times. If push came to shove I could just VPN to home and open it, and we're talking about several minutes vs mere seconds, but I can manage that. To be fair though, it must be nice - 4TB would allow me to keep everything local I think. It's just an insane price point.
I would love to use a NAS system, but since I already have a bunch of old drives from various places (some from old computers, a couple others I bought on sale), the external drive option is cheaper for me. But if I had the choice I’d go with a NAS myself.

And I’m in agreement with you. The price point per GB on Apple’s internal storage just doesn’t justify the upgrade, and even if they offered a 500gb or 1tb as stock, you know that would come as a bump in price for the stock model. And sure Apple’s internal SSDs are wickedly faster than almost anything else on the market, but for most people, an external SSD or cloud based storage (with fast internet speeds) will suffice perfectly well.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Looking at my MBP, I am currently using 91 GB - including system formatting - of my SSD. I have 17 GB of music and 47 GB of photos, which is everything I own.

I also have no plans to really increase what's on there, other than periodic photo dumps from my phone and increasing my song library song by song from iTunes, maybe 50-80 songs per year. I would say by the time it's full, it's time for a new machine.

I can and do get by with 256 GB, but I would prefer 512 just for that buffer, and really Apple should be including 512 in 2018 and into 2019 as base storage on machines that cost damn near $2500. I think though that we are at a breaking point where that's about to happen...kind of like how 16 GB of RAM was the max you could get from 2012 all the way through 2017 and we can now finally get 32 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.