Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Not sure if anyone recalls the reference, but in a Simpsons episode many years back, Homer Simpson used a toy bird to hit his keyboard every couple of minutes to perform a very simple function at work so that he didn't have to be by his computer (or maybe it was so he could nap, I don't recall). I am looking for a similar trick (minus the toy bird) for an online course I am taking that has a timer that I am required to be "reading" during this time and the timer stops when the page goes idle for a minute or two. I was thinking that if I could hit the space bar or somehow cause the cursor to move every 30 seconds, I could keep the timer going, even while I was sleeping. Any ideas on how I may be able to set up my Mac to make it appear that I am on the page and doing something while I am away?

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Not sure if anyone recalls the reference, but in a Simpsons episode many years back, Homer Simpson used a toy bird to hit his keyboard every couple of minutes to perform a very simple function at work so that he didn't have to be by his computer (or maybe it was so he could nap, I don't recall). I am looking for a similar trick (minus the toy bird) for an online course I am taking that has a timer that I am required to be "reading" during this time and the timer stops when the page goes idle for a minute or two. I was thinking that if I could hit the space bar or somehow cause the cursor to move every 30 seconds, I could keep the timer going, even while I was sleeping. Any ideas on how I may be able to set up my Mac to make it appear that I am on the page and doing something while I am away?
So you want us to help you cheat on your homework? I don't think you'll get much help.

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
So you want us to help you cheat on your homework? I don't think you'll get much help.
Haha, not quite. It's the equivalent of traffic school but it's for work. I know all the content and already passed the required exam, but it still requires the mandated reading time.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

My first thought is plug in a USB keyboard and just have something held down on the spacebar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.