The honeymoon is over. My MBP has misbehaved.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doktordoris, Jun 16, 2010.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

In the 2 months of mac owning I have never had a single problem with anything. I have never had to force quit a program, the machine has never crashed. I really was beginning to think that macs were infallible.

Today I had my first experience of it going a bit wrong.

I downloaded and installed 10.6.4, then when it asked to reset I clicked yes. Then the machine powered off, the purple y outer space picture appeared with the spinning clock-face thing, and I waited, and waited, and waited.

After 15 minutes or so I thought something was wrong, so I hit the power button, held my breath and crossed my fingers, and it booted with no problem.

I am a bit alarmed, should I be?

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

When your possessions misbehave, you should strike them.

Kidding. Don't worry...it happens. As long as it's working fine now.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your first concern is that you've been honeymooning with an inanimate electronic device. :eek:

And no, you shouldn't worry. Every computer ever built will hang or crash at some point. It's not a big deal.

4. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Yes! This is serious, terminal, and fatal. Probably the first MBP to ever have this problem. I'd say your machine is effectively a boat anchor, only a matter of time now. I understand you're probably beginning the grieving process. As we're a compassionate community here, I think I can help ease the pain for you. I'm willing to offer $250 for your broken, lifeless machine. It won't completely sooth your pain, but perhaps this small offer will at least allow you to remember the sweet moments your shared together. It's the least I can do.

5. sadcamper macrumors regular

I will give you $251 AND will throw in my very reliable 1.5ghz PPC Mac Mini...it's like a rock! (literally).

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

Well, I completely agree. I will offer you $252 and you may take my G5 Powermac Tower home with you in the bargain to keep you from becoming too lonely until you recover from the sudden loss. The only problem is that, even as endearing as she is, the G5 is an invalid, she cannot walk by herself, so you will have to come and pick her up, careful now, she's a little overweight from being pampered all these years, and you don't want to strain yourself while you are in your grieving period. :cool::p:cool:

7. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

8. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

The only thing I ever have have a problem with is Steam, I have to force quit TF2 all the time :mad:

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Even though it might not be entirely perfect, it'll always work better than Windows... :D ;)

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

same situation i was in yesterday. didn't think that anything was wrong...just said "dam it...hury up!" :D

11. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

ah, splendid.

All is well then, but I must confess, things will never be the same again between us.

doris

12. moel macrumors 6502

As said, it'll be fine!

However it is work fixing your disk permissions, as this is most likely the issue.

go to Applicaton -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Click on the Macintosh HD and hit 'Repair Disk Permission' and leave it till it finishes! Hey presto :)

13. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Lol, love the title. Mine did a similar thing earlier when I updated, just stayed on the blank blue screen and had to manually restart.

Could be worse, the amount of customers I've spoken to where Windows update gets stuck on a restart and then goes into a loop until you System Restore it.

14. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

By nature, anything that has an os is going to have something like that happen.