The horror... the horror... Insidious water droplets.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ramen Noobles, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ramen Noobles macrumors newbie

Hey, all. Hopefully I'm not typing this from a dead laptop walking, but that remains to be seen.

I'm a fairly new MBP owner, roughly 3 months or so with my 2010 model, and disaster(perhaps) may have struck me.

Allow me to explain: I've got a bit of a cough right now. I'm also writing a lengthy paper on the aforementioned laptop. You can see why this might not be a great combination. Anyway, I was halfway through another soul-sapping paragraph on Plato and why he was such a confusing fellow when I had a very unexpected coughing fit. After recovering, I looked down and saw some water droplets, presumably from my mouth, on and around the trackpad. After a minor heart attack or two, I sprung into action and wiped the offending moisture away.

I then turned the laptop on, and then off, which was dumb, but it's working absolutely fine and I can detect no problems. Should I consider myself lucky, and stop worrying, or should I just turn it off and leave it for several days? Would such a small amount of water be a true danger to a MBP?

Thanks in advance.

2. easy-mac macrumors member

Ok, is this a joke? Calm down, really. How big were these drops in question? It sounds like you just got a few drops of spit on your trackpad. Did anything even come close to getting inside the computer? I would be afraid if you were maybe taking a big drink of something and had a coughing fit and sprayed that all over your computer, but a few drops of sputum should be of no concern, it's not like you're going to give your computer a virus ;) Stop pondering Plato for a little while and get outside for some fresh air. If you're really concerned then put it in a bag of rice, but I really think you're fine.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you are afraid water might've gotten, I'd put the MBP in some kind of a breathable sleeve, and stick it in a bag of rice for a few days, the rice will absorb any and all moisture.

4. Chris. macrumors regular

To be honest, it will be fine, it wasn't enough water to do any damage.

5. Ramen Noobles thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I s'ppose I'm over-reacting a tad. It was a small collection of small, raindrop-esque bits o' spit, none apparently in danger of seeping anywhere important. I just thought I'd seek advice, seeing as I have no idea how resistant MBP trackpads are to small amounts of moisture.

Thanks. :)

6. ry4n525 macrumors newbie

I've spilled full cups of coffee, water, and soda on my MBP multiple times and the trackpad still functions correctly. Not to mention I have the 2006 MBP so mine isn't like the newer/better model such as yours.

7. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

How about you cover your mouth. Don't just sneeze and cough everywhere.

8. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Yumm-o.
    And yeah, its a well known fact that if you have a cough/cold, dont use a laptop ;)

9. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

It should be fine. Get back to Plato! Thank God I'm long past that stage in my life.

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Put your head in large paper bag, keep it there for two weeks and don't use the computer. This will protect the enviroment from you spraying water like a seal and give your computer enough time to dry out. :D

In all seriousness your computer is fine, that wasn't water it was saliva which isn't water but a water secretion not as fine as water. Next time keep some kleenex close at hand.

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

And if possible, when you cough, cough into the crook of your elbow and not into you hands. It's much better sanitary-wise and better for your computer keyboard and trackpad!

12. ytk macrumors regular

A few droplets of fluid on your trackpad can be deadly! If even a single molecule of water touches the processor heat sink, you run the risk of steam being trapped under your keyboard. At best, the keys will fly off violently, and at worst the laptop could potentially explode, killing any bystanders!

Agreed. It is absolutely imperative that you do this. Additionally, the rice must be long grain basmati rice, and the bag must be made of a porous material like burlap or cheesecloth. Also, the sleeve you put it in must be white to reflect any stray light that might hit it, because if the temperature gets too high your laptop could spontaneously detonate. You should put a thermometer in the bag and make sure the temperature stays between 72 and 74 degrees fahrenheit. Also, you should put the bag in a dark closet, and leave it there for two weeks at a minimum. If it was more than three droplets, I'd leave it there for a whole month. Only then can you be certain that your laptop isn't a ticking time bomb, just waiting to blow up and take out a pre-school! :eek:

Oh, and if you do follow this advice, post pics. :p

13. deeesea macrumors 6502

OP I think you should turn off the laptop ASAP! OMG! ITS TOO LATE! those droplets of spit have infested your laptop, it's probably a goner already. put it in bags of rice don't touch it for a month, and beg your proff for an extension on that assignment! I sure hope you didn't do it on pages because oh my gawwwwwwwwd, you'lll have no choice but to buy another macbook pro! and you have to get the pro or else it won't work! you must you must!

Good luck my unfortunate friend
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Heat305 macrumors newbie

15. sentros macrumors member

You'll be fine. I often come to my laptop to cool off after a sauna+shower when I'm dripping wet. Still my laptop remains functional. I've seen pretty big "ponds" of water on my trackpad on these occasions.