The HP Sounds Great?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by AppleRobert, Feb 20, 2018.

1. AppleRobert macrumors 603

In comparison to what, what else have you listened to for around the same dollars spent?

2. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

I'm returning mine. Sound quality is most important aspect to me, and the Homepod is just ok: it sounds only marginally better than my $200 Marshall Kilburn Bluetooth speaker. I haven't heard any kind of a soundstage from the HP no matter what room or location it's in: all instruments and vocals are easily localized in that cylinder. I didn't expect a soundstage until I read some reviews, but I don't hear it. I'm glad that others love theirs: if you love what you're hearing, I'm happy for you. I'm going to wait for the next generation.

3. lch6257 macrumors member

Well for my taste, I love the HomePod. It sounds great in my master and I plan to buy a second one when software is updated. I compared it to my $3000 Bowers and Wilkins Panorama and for 12% of the B&W the HomePod crushes. Beyond the sound quality, the ability to just randomly say "Hey Siri, play some music" and she feeds me a playlist that knocks my socks off based off of my music tastes....Sure, I can do this from my phone, watch, iPad, MacBook, but just quickly throwing it out there in my workspace in my master and seeing her throw me a playlist I love....priceless...:D!!

4. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

1. Compared to a Bose Mini Soundlink (granted that's a cheaper product but also impressive for its size) - The HomePod is palpably superior.
    2. Compared to any Amazon Echo product - sound is better by a very large margin
    3. Compared to a similarly chunky Jawbone Jambox (discontinued) that used to blow my mind before and is now collecting dust
    4. Compared to the Beats Beatbox (also discontinued I think) that was priced in the same margin - The HomePod sounds crisp and balanced, the Beatbox sounds like you've turned off the high frequencies and dialed up lows to a ridiculous level

Only other speaker that I have that beats the HomePod is my Bose Soundtouch 30. However, that is a $500 speaker and it's much bigger so that's not a fair comparison. Although the HomePod will give it a run for the money

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Sonos Play:5 > HomePod > Sonos Play:1 > Amazon Echo (latest gen)

6. AppleRobert thread starter macrumors 603

299 views with only a few replies?

Some of you observing may not have one or many flat out haven’t compared it to anything. Be that as it may, whatever I guess if you are happy with it but .....

7. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I’m in agreement with @jclardy but I’d also add HomePod > Google Home.

Between myself (HomePod, Echo gen 2) and my friends systems which are Google Home and a couple of different Sonos setups. We’ve come to the same conclusion. Oh, a couple of Sonos 1’s and a sub, also better than HomePod.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

All I can compare HomePod to is my own ears and how I feels it sounds in the area of the room I’m in. Sound wise it sounds great to me for my needs.

9. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Which if we’re honest, is all that actually matters.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Without a doubt. For some a good voice assistant matters a lot more to others. Sometimes people just want basic tasks and as limited as Siri is it at least does most of the basics fine. It needs to get better for sure but for something in the ecosystem it does a good job but it's not going to be for everybody.

I have decided to keep my homepod as realise it does what required for my needs. I will use it mainly for reminders/podcasts/music and to control my lights. I will use it everyday for my lights alone.

11. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I’m the same, I certainly wouldn’t complain if they made Siri “smarter” but to be honest, it meets my needs so I can’t complain.

I get that people want some more from it than it currently offers but for me I use it for very basic tasks, always have done. I never used Alexa to fart or burp at me, or to order food/Uber/products of any kind.
    I don’t need it to be an encyclopaedia, partly because I wouldn’t completely trust the answers. Especially if they originate from Wikipedia. I’ll stick to books for the bulk of my knowledge.

For me it does good enough sound while also covering the WAF. The music is the main thing and it controls all of my smart gear. With an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac I think I’m pretty much covered for everything else.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

agreed

I'm currently listening to a podcast on my homepod and put it down to 50% as the volume on 60-70% is too much so sound wise for my main usage will be fine.

13. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Had it a week now and my Sonos 1’s in stereo pair since December The single HP sounds better.

Still like my Sonos 1’s but prefer the sound of the HP. So pleased with it. Will buy another and stereo pair them once Air Play 2 gets released.

14. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

That’s my plan too I think, of course the wife doesn’t know that yet :D. The single HomePod sounds really good, so I can only imagine a pair will be pretty awesome. Should be a pretty powerful sound when paired up.

Did you only just buy your Sonos this past December? That’s a short time to replace with a HomePod. Though I suppose you’ll repurpose the Sonos elsewhere.

15. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

I originally had a great separate system but it just wasn’t Wife friendly so needed something with less wires and blend into the decor. I also wanted home theatre . It’s something will have to do over time due to cost. Sonos was the answer plus I primarily have Alexa all round the house. Bought the two 1’s as the rear speakers and next will be the Play Base followed by the sub.

The HP seemed an interesting product because I also wanted a HomeKit Hub. Thought try it out as logically I should just expand my Sonos. The HP is used in another room.

Another factor was when you play with any streaming service only one device can access the music which did my head in as the kids would use Alexa and switch the streaming to their device. You can resolve this by buying a family subscription.

I can get student subscription so both Amazon and Apple Music costs £4.99 each. Made more sense to do this plus not get tied down to one particular eco system.

For me with ease of use, looks, HomeKit hub and importantly sound it’s a great product that fits in well. Highly recommend.