The hunt for a protective iphone 5 case.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Colev1, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Colev1 macrumors member

I've now tried out 4 cases for my iphone 5. Otterbox commuter and defender, incipio edge pro and seidio obex (most recently)

Commuter- I liked the case until I went to work with it and all the dust started to accumulate on the case (more specifically the silicone) which gave it a faded/brown dirty look which I hate!

Defender- hated the screen protector from the start so I pushed it out, then a new problem arised, the case was full of dust.

Edge pro- I thought maybe I didn't need such a protective case so I tried this case out. Buttons were hard to push and it scratches for nothing.

Obex- like the case but it never did snap together right. The sound quality is awful and it doesn't fit on my 30 pin adapter for a docking station, I will be sending it back!!!

I've realized because of what I put my phone through at work I need a highly protective case, not necessarily waterproof though. I'm picky with screen protectors that's a major factor when looking at a case for me also I need one that will fit with the adapter for my docking station. Any suggestions?? been looking at the griffin survivor but I'm open to opinions!

2. HiRisk macrumors 6502

Ditch the docking station. Get one that has either AirPlay or Bluetooth support.

Then go for whatever case you want then. I would recommend the Otterbox Armor or wait to see how the Incipio Atlas works out when it is released.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend the LifeProof or the OBEX case.

3. Colev1, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013

Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

I've also been considering a tough case extreme made by case mate or a ballistic every1

4. rgctx, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013

rgctx macrumors regular

The every1 has a screen protector that will make your screen look like crap, and if you remove it you will open a bag of worms with dust/dirt getting all inside the case, i had that issue this week.

Removed the screen protector last week, went to clean the phone a few days ago and had all sorts of stuff inside the case.

5. Colev1 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like the exact problem I had with my defender........might just stick with my otterbox commuter and a good screen protector

6. dwaynewilliams macrumors member

dwaynewilliams

Try the Griffin Survivor. That's what I have and I live it. Looks good too.

7. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

Incase just came out with a new line called the SYSTM line... the Chisel is similar to the Commuter and Candyshell, in size and protection... whats different is the interior lining is TPU, not rubber...

8. dwaynewilliams macrumors member

dwaynewilliams

If you don't need a built in screen protector, the Commuter case is a good choice.

9. nav0413 macrumors newbie

I think need to build protective screen on my iphone.:D:D

10. lbros360 macrumors member

How about lifeproof? I am currently using a defender and I love it, but I heard that all the problems with the lifeproof case are addressed and people are very happy with it. If it wasn't for the 80$ price tag, I would switch right away. There is also the otter box Armor. I know griffin is releasing a waterproof case, it looks very cool.

11. syfuman macrumors newbie

syfuman

i'm really diggin my Lunatik Taktik Strike. i had to order the red headset port cover separately (@ $7 which took a turn around of about 10 days).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i like the look and protection. i originally ordered the lunatik taktik extreme but returned it due to rainbow issues on the glass in addition to reversed camera holes in the back, but with the strike you won't have these issues.

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Otterbox commuter case+ screen protector= iPhone 5 protected:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

13. Donmegga14 macrumors newbie

The Lunatik Taktik Extreme for the iPhone is hands down the best case out there I have them for sale and they can't stay on the shelf find my eBay link and no I don't sell the knock offs period www.facebook.com/10hottrendz and look at the post for the lunatik eBay link right there or you may even call me to place an order I have my business licence and re sellers permit 208-380-3680 I also have ballistic line up as well!

14. AE14 macrumors 6502a

I had a major issue with my 2 commuters. THe silicone got completely stretched out and it became a loose fitting, lint magnet.

15. Donmegga14 macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I have seen with otterbox stay away from that case ballistic and lunatik taktik extreme are the way to go I have them both on http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lunatik-Taktik-Extreme-Authentic-iPhone-5-/200937591471 just click on my other items for sell

16. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2